Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th May 2009, 05:00 PM
Prolific Member

Default Fast approach causes Qantas panic

From http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Quote:
Fast approach causes Qantas panic

By staff writers
The Advertiser
May 25, 2009 02:45pm

A QANTAS domestic flight performed a "faster than normal" descent last night, triggering oxygen masks to be deployed and terrifying passengers.
Passengers on board the QF552 flight from Sydney to Brisbane were told that a 20-minute delay before the take-off was because of "technical problems".

But during the flight oxygen masks were deployed and passengers were told to breathe through them, sparking panic.

A Qantas spokeswoman told the Brisbane Times that the aircraft descended at an above-average rate after pilots received a depressurisation warning.

The spokeswoman said she could not confirm that there had been a decrease in pressure.

Qantas came under fire after an exploding gas cylinder caused a sudden fall in altitude of a passenger plane last year.

About 74 people were injured during that flight.

More to come
Old 25th May 2009, 06:36 PM

I read on another forum that whilst someone was listening to the scanner they heard QF552 declare a Pan Pan Pan and initially requested full emergency landing and then proceeded to land without incident.
Old 25th May 2009, 07:00 PM

I love how they call a faster than normal descent a "fast approach"...... it's not like they were on finals.
Old 25th May 2009, 07:26 PM

Angry

A "fast approach" does not trigger mask deployment.

However, a "fast approach" may result from a depressurisation and mask deployment. In the real world it's called an emergency descent.

Once again, tabloid journalism at it's finest
Old 25th May 2009, 08:33 PM

what aircraft was it?
Old 25th May 2009, 08:41 PM

From Grahame's 16right.com
Quote:
VH-OGD QF0552 24/05/2009 20:34 Qantas B767-338(ER) Sydney-Brisbane
Old 25th May 2009, 08:42 PM

I agree, the headline is certainly in poor taste and the terminology would no doubt to lead people to link it to the GA accident.

So instead of discussing the article, lets praise the entire crew who obviously handled the situation with textbook precision. Cockpit Resource Management (CRM) in managing the resultant workload was obviously well executed and of vital importance as is the rigorous emergency training afforded to Australian cabin crews. I have no doubt that any airline in this country would have handled the incident just as efficiently.

Cabin pressure related drills would no doubt be something crews trained for with some regularity, something the passengers should be most thankful for. I don't dispute that the passengers may have been "alarmed" or "scared" but I am certain most are also "grateful" for the professional manner in which the incident was managed.

Once again, another incident successfully handled by a highly trained and efficient crew. Job well done to all involved.
Old 26th May 2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Qantas came under fire after an exploding gas cylinder caused a sudden fall in altitude of a passenger plane last year.

About 74 people were injured during that flight.
I didn't think anybody was injured on QF30. Are they confusing it with QF72?