Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2009, 08:34 PM

Please refrain from quoting the entire previous post - Thank you - mod

You are kind of right. More correctly you need to fly a path that puts you within a certain time of a suitable diversion airport. Flying Asia to Europe you do have to fly a long way over Russia where there vast amounts of emptyness, so ETOPS may be an issue. I don't know for certain, I just asked in my previous post as it is a consideration, as sometimes a longer path must be flown to keep within ETOPS rules.
Old 27th June 2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
How many more A330's does the QF group have on order?
JQ are getting 1 maybe 2 more A332s from the end of the year.
Old 27th June 2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sandford View Post
There would be a few airports along the normal routing that you wouldn't want to land in now days (eg Afganistan), but in an emergency I suspect you are a little less picky, and able to find military support.
add Pakistan to the list too
Old 27th June 2009, 04:08 PM
Lukas M

Quote:
Could JQ continue their expansion plans initially without 787s (if economic conditions recovered) or would they wait?
Whats everyone's thoughts of AirAsia could being a threat to JQ's European operations?

AirAsia X CEO recently said they will be introducing connecting baggage from Australia to London, and if Sydney comes online in November, as well as Adelaide, then they have a nice little feed there. They have also mentioned that they want to fly to Germany as well as other European ports.

They are also introducing a new Premium product up front, and new wider economy seats that actually recline this time.
Old 28th June 2009, 09:20 PM

Its a shame Qantas not switch 15 787s for 15 777s they certainly could place them on lots of new routes some are too big for 747s and would make some present routes become more viable.
Old 28th June 2009, 09:43 PM

Please refrain from quoting the entire previous post - Thank you - mod

It is a shame.

It's a shame they were touted as the launch customer of the 777 and then suddenly changed their mind. Why they never recieved one is anyone's guess as they are undoubtedly one of the most efficient, safest and widely used planes on long haul sectors, be it a Sydney to LAX or a Sydney-Singapore.

Albeit in the current economic climate the decision is justified, the choice to not go with 777 at all is one I think that will constantly haunt them imho as airlines such as Cathay, SIA, British Airways, Emirates, Etihad with such highly efficient, economically viable planes etc lead the recovery from the economic crisis in the next few years.