Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2009, 11:20 AM

Default Qantas Check-in

Hi all,

I'm flying to MEL tomorrow and I decided to check-in online. Qantas allows you to check-in for your return flight as long as it is within 12 hrs of the first flight, so I got my seats organised for that too. However, to my amazement, nearly the entire 767 had seats allocated and the best seat I could get was in row 53. I'm just wondering how the plane has so many seats allocated 36hrs before the flight? Have all these people checked-in online already, or are the seats pre-allocated? And lastly, if I queue up and check-in tomorrow, is there any chance I can get better seats?

I'm not having a go at Qantas at all, I'm more curious as to how the system works. Thanks for any answers.

Gareth
Old 8th August 2009, 12:17 PM

The system uses status to determine what seats you can see - I assume you're not very high in the Qantas FF program?

Just keep using online checkin between now and the flight - you might find better seats open up as people move around. You can also try the Quickcheck machine at the airport too.
Old 8th August 2009, 07:52 PM

Thanks for that Chris. You guessed right, I actually have no FF haha.
Old 9th August 2009, 12:17 PM

Chris is right. The FF members get thier preference - those seats particularly forward will open up if they decide to change seats. Those who are not FF or have a lower tier, they generally asign them last. In saying that, even if you are a non FF and chose window/aisle as a preference, you find most people get that preference recognised.

I have found that after check in open, it is best to check back as you might find better seats open up.
Old 9th August 2009, 01:19 PM

On the very rare ocassions that I find myself on a QF domestic 737 service i seem to be allocated row 4. (normally window or aisle)

I have no QF status and travel on the Red-Edeal (Virgin is normally full in the lower fare buckets)

767 & 330 is a different matter. and I just get stuck anywhere.