Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th November 2009, 12:26 PM

Default D/Tele: Fee has Tiger by the tail

Quote:
Fee has Tiger by the tail

MOTHERS are up in arms over a $30 fee by discount airline Tiger Airways to have their babies on their laps on domestic flights.

Passengers under two years are charged despite taking no seats.

Competitors Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Blue let infants on laps travel free on domestic routes.

Fare conditions allow Tiger to demand proof-of-age documents if they suspect parents are lying on a child's age to avoid paying.

Hilary Lauder, of parenting website Bub Hub, said the $30 per flight was "extortionately large".

Tiger spokeswoman Vanessa Regan said the airline prided itself on consistently providing the cheapest fares by letting passengers choose optional extras.

The infant fee helped recoup oxygen mask, insurance and airport costs and included a piece of checked-in equipment, such as a buggy, cot or car seat.

Ms Regan said the airline only charged about $40 for nursed infants on international legs.

Real Mums founder Amanda Cox said she understood the airline was a business and not a charity, but the fee did not add up.

"I know budget airlines say you get what you pay for, but what are you actually paying for when a child is on your lap?"

Source: Daily Telegraph 7 Nov 2009.
Free Adopted from Proquest ANZ Newstand Database
When all other airlines are granting free travel to infants, seems the decision by Tiger Airways had already crossed the line. Such a decision is even worse than any other transport carriers in Australia, not only the aviation, but also ground/sea transport carriers such as CityRail, Metro Trains Melbourne, Sydney Ferries, CityCat etc. I am afraid that will led to a bad example to Australian Transport that infants will longer travel free.

This is totally unacceptable and I think the Australian Aviation Authority and the Parliament should act now to stop Tiger from ripping off mothers and families also time has come for us to prohibit operation of Budget Aviation carriers that to put our high quality of Australian Commutor Aviation service back.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 7th November 2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
This is totally unacceptable and I think the Australian Aviation Authority and the Parliament should act now to stop Tiger from ripping off mothers and families also time has come for us to prohibit operation of Budget Aviation carriers that to put our high quality of Australian Commutor Aviation service back.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Don't like the fee don't' fly them

It's pretty simple!

I am pleased that all your upcoming flights are on quality carriers The only way to stop pathetic airlines like Tiger succeeding is to stop flying them.

However, they are growing and will continue to grow and whiners will appear on ACA/Today Tonight when they get delayed, charged extra etc etc but they will go back and fly them again as they cannot afford to fly Qantas.

As I said I will NEVER fly Tiger! EVER!
Old 7th November 2009, 02:21 PM

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that even though it costs Tiger something to carry the infant the parents should pay nothing? In this age of decoupling services to a pay as you use model if it costs Tiger money to carry an infant, then surely the parent, rather than every other PAX should pay for this under the LCC model?
Old 7th November 2009, 03:35 PM

walk out to the street today and see if any mother actually care about this or are 'up in arms'?
bet you 70% of people won't even know what Tiger is.....

must be a slow news day for the Telegraph!!
Old 7th November 2009, 04:08 PM

Please do not quote the entire above thread as it is not necessary - mod.

I would say most Mothers know about Tiger as they feature on TT/ACA and that is the target market of those 2 programs!
Old 7th November 2009, 10:26 PM

Re D Chan:

Unfortunately, I think most mums will know what Tiger is as they had their shows on 7 during Prime time. As one of the most popular television channel, I think a lot of mums and families had watched that and know what Tiger is.

Yeah you're right, I will NEVER fly Tiger Airways as well. But I doubt whether Virgin Blue is a quality airline tho (as they don't offer food on plane for free). I will have my test flight next month and will be able to see.

Finally as I had pointed out above, what I worry about is whether other airlines will follow suit and even worse is other non-aviation carriers. I don't want Tiger to start a trend where people have to pay for their infants on buses, trains etc.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 8th November 2009, 08:30 AM

As a parent with two children I think the $30.00 fee is a little high, considering the infant is to remain on your lap for the entire flight. However, if the two adult's fares + the 1 child's fare + the infant charge for our family comes to a lesser amount than the competitor without the infant charge, then it might be a consideration. On that basis alone, people will still continue to fly Tiger and just absorb the infant charge into their own ticket price. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons not to fly airline A, B, C or D.

As some of you have said that you would not fly Tiger EVER... you might end up having to fly them should there be NO other option for essential travel.

David.M.
Old 8th November 2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
But I doubt whether Virgin Blue is a quality airline tho (as they don't offer food on plane for free).
Are you serious? You base your judgement on an airlines quality on whether or not you get fed for free?
Book a hire car or silver service taxi to get to the airport, it will cost at least twice the dollar value of your DJ ticket & they won't feed you either.
Old 8th November 2009, 09:46 PM

I fed in some flights some time ago and tried to buy a full seat so we would get the full baggage allowance, as at the time the 'infant' costs did not allow for any luggage allowance. (as per the T/C). It wouldnt let me....

It was still cheaper for me to fly with VB and J*, both of which were fantastic to deal with, and were great with my infant.
Old 11th November 2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Re D Chan:

Yeah you're right, I will NEVER fly Tiger Airways as well.
You might not, but millions of dumb **** Australians will, and will incessantly whinge when Tiger charge them for infants, charge then for overweight hand luggage, leave them high and dry on a domestic sector anywhere in the country when a plane goes U/S... But that's the way life is. People just want a bargain and are happy to settle with the pain if it means they save a nickel. I have seen this over and over and over again. Look at Ryanair, for example. Enough said.

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC