Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd January 2010, 03:22 PM

Default Trip Report - SYD-OOL-SYD

Hi all,

Last weekend I went up to the Gold Coast just for the weekend. I thought I'd share some photos from the trip. This includes some spotting photos, but as this is a trip report I thought it best to include in the Flying and Tech Discussion. Click on the photos to go to the full size versions. Enjoy!

Jan 16, 2010
Jetstar JQ19
SYD-OOL 08:30-08:55
A330-200 VH-EBC - Seat 41A

My flight was scheduled to leave at 8:30am from the Intl terminal - since I haven't recently had a chance to take any photos from the area past immigration I decided to make the most of it. I arranged for a cab to pick me up at 5:00 and was checked in by 5:35. I straight away went through immigration (which only requires a driver's license for the domestic passengers) and took a look around.

The first thing I noticed was the massive Duty Free store, which everyone has to walk through. Following that was a large shopping/eating area, which could easily have been mistaken for a Westfield shopping centre. I was reminded again of the fact I was in an airport when I walked along the new passageway connecting the two areas of gates.

I continued my wander around, surprised by the many locations suitable for photography.

ZK-ZQC just after push-back

VH-VOZ pulling into the gate

VH-OJE at the gate

VH-VOZ at the gate

9V-SPO at the gate

9V-SKJ at the gate

Looking over towards the Qantas Jetbase

VH-OJU pulling into the gate

Last edited by Gareth Forwood; 23rd January 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:23 PM

We ended up leaving a little late due to four passengers checking in with bags, then not showing for the flight. So push back was, excuse the pun, pushed back to around 9am (oh that really was appalling, I apologise...). The aircraft is in 2-4-2 config - I was seated in seat 41A (with B empty), which provides a great view of the trailing edge of the wing (thanks Bowrey!). The taxi out to Rwy 34 along taxiway Alpha was fairly quick, with a short wait as a Garuda Indonesia A330 was on final.

Turning on Alpha 6 - JAL 777-200ER JA704J and a QF 767-300ER following

Close-up of JA704J

Climbing over the stand-off bays

and the Intl Terminal

The remainder of the flight was pretty uneventful. There were a few slight bumps climing out through the cloud, but apart from that it was pretty smooth. Very soon we were descending through a (cloudy) Gold Coast sky and turning for approach to Rwy 14. I got a great view of the beach area too!

On final for Rwy 14

Rolling out - this is the first time I've seen Air Asia X!

The cabin during disembarkation

Nowadays, I always ask to see the flight deck, and for the most part am allowed after a flight - again, I wasn't to be disappointed. The Captain was very friendly and was also interested in the camera (Canon 7D) as he was thinking of buying one for his wife!

I was, of course, the last passenger off, which annoyed the ground ushers a little, but I wasn't to be stopped from taking a couple of last shots.

Old 23rd January 2010, 03:24 PM

Jan 17, 2010
Jetstar JQ423
OOL-SYD 18:40-21:05
A320-200 VH-VQN - Seat 28A

This flight was absolutely packed (maybe 3 vacant seats), and being an evening/night flight, photography opportunities were limited. However, we did fly around some amazing storms, including this one not long after takeoff.

The remaining photos I took were all blurry, thanks to the light and the bumps along the way. We landed on Rwy 25 about 5 mins early, with the taxi back providing great views of the Intl terminal.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the report - questions, comments and suggestions for next time are most welcome!
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks for posting this well-illustrated and concise report, Gareth! Would you say it's possible to visit for just a day trip? If so, what would you recommend seeing or doing?
Old 23rd January 2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the photos Gareth - it is always fun doing a domestic sector from the INTL terminal, even with the hassle attached to it. The Gold Coast airport is always fun - nothing like the old stairs and walk to/from the terminal, great photo ops
Old 23rd January 2010, 06:14 PM

Default JQ

Interesting report. I bet it felt a bit strange flying on a A330 between Sydney and the gold coast.

Major airports these days are a shopping centre with a runway and a few parking spots for aircraft out the back.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the comments! Edward, it is possible to fly up and back in a day, with a decent amount of time in the Gold Coast. Keep in mind that it's about a 30-40min cab ride into central Surfer's Paradise. I generally prefer to spend a full weekend up there. If you want to go up there just to spot, then a day is generally fine if you are on the 1st flight in, last out.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:10 PM

Great trip report Gareth, i love the jq a330's and seat 41a on ebc as i spent quite a few hours in it heading to honolulu from melbourne back when they still had JQ1 direct!!! was a good position to sit in