Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2010, 07:44 PM

Default Qantas to increase flights to Launceston for AFL match weekends.

From today's Mercury Newspaper website : www.themercury.com.au:

Quote:
QANTAS will increase flights to Launceston to cater for Hawthorn football matches.

The airline's regional manager Rick Sawicki said the 14 flights by a Boeing 737 would coincide with the four Hawthorn AFL roster matches.

The first return flight will be from Melbourne on April 25 for Hawthorn's game against North Melbourne at York Park.

Other flights from Melbourne will operate for games on June 12, July 17 and August 21. Flights from Launceston to Melbourne also are scheduled for June 11, July 16 and August 19.

Flights from Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth are scheduled for June 11, July 16 and August 19 respectively. There will be direct Qantas flights from Launceston to the same three capitals on June 12, July 17 and August 21 respectively.

Does Qantas in fact have any ground equipment left in Launceston for the Boeing 737? The Qantas Group only uses A320 and Q400 equipment into LST now.
Old 30th March 2010, 09:08 PM

Same ground equipment used for the A320 and the maggot(737)
Old 1st April 2010, 10:17 PM

Qantas has done these flights every year in recent times, AFAIK.

Yes. Qantas has 737-capable stairs and equipment in Launnie.
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:01 AM

The direct flights from other capital cities to LST was in response to an AFL directive.

Several years ago some teams only arrived just before their game as a result of delayed connections in MEL, lost bags and equipment, etc. I recall incidents where Port Adelaide and Fremantle were affected.

There are around 40 in a typical team entourage ( 22 players and 18 support staff ) and they all get free admission to the QF Club although players would not be allowed to eat anything due to diet restrictions. Just a place to relax away from the fans.

They travel heavy, usually 3 large trolleys full... every thing except the kitchen sink.

Last edited by Robert Zweck; 2nd April 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 7th April 2010, 01:49 PM

I went to a LST Hawthorn / Brisbane game in 2008. I can't commment on the flights in as I took the cheaper option via DPO, but on leaving after the game.
- QF flight LST/BNE left around 7:00, with Bris players
- QF flight LST/MEL left around 7:30, with Haw players, umpires and AFL officials
- DQ flight LST/MEL left around 7:45 with radio commentators
- JQ flight LST/SYD left around 8:00 with a couple of Bris supporters who weren't too happy with the result

Although it isn't offically a QF lounge at LST, the umpires and AFL officials came in. My conversation with them proved beyond a doubt that Scott McLaren has never played football at a senior level, and Ray Chamberlain has an ego bigger than most full forwards.

The 3MMM commentators them came in, and did their best to drink the bar dry.

Some of the Hawthorn coaching staff came in, but all players stayed outside in the terminal.

Robert is right, they travel heavy. I'm surprised some of the equipment isn't permanently located at Yorke Park.
Miles: 651,193; Hours: 1,484:43; Flights: 526; Routes; 218; Airports: 101; Airlines: 47; Countries:27