Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th July 2010, 08:19 PM

Default Spotting in Shanghai

Hi Guys - I have just been told I need to be in Shanghai next week after I can organise my visa.

I've not been to China before so want to understand if anyone has done any spotting at Pudong International (PVG) before and can give me some hints.

Also I'll be staying at a Hotel in Changning District (Zhong Shan Park) which I can see on google earth is close to Hongqiao Airport (SHA), has anyone spotted there?

Also, does anyone know the local spotting etiquette, or is it just plain illegal.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Old 8th July 2010, 11:13 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Darren,

From memory there are no external viewing areas in Pudong to photograph from, however I spent a bit of time on the elevated roadway either side of terminal entrance. From there you can photograph aircraft approaching the five or so gates either side. The big problem was the cold, the wind was absolutely freezing and I had to go back into the terminal to get warm again.

I took the Maglev train from the city to Pudong that day, 431kph on the ground is just amazing, 7min 20sec for the trip which took an hour in a taxi on the freeway. Definitely worth a ride, I think it was only A$8 for a ticket.

Old 9th July 2010, 09:52 AM

Default china spotting

excellent....beyond excellent, but wasn't it risky? I have been told, the authorities frown upon photographers in China
Old 9th July 2010, 09:56 AM

Hi Darren,

There is no offical spotting location in either PVG or SHA currently, there was one observation deck inside Terminal 2 in SHA, but unfortunately it was only open for 2 days, and now closed. The spotting in Shanghai airports is a little bit tricky, you will need local supports if you want to spot around the runway area.

However, if you are going for a domestic flight departing from PVG T2, you can get some good shots inside the terminal building, but definitely not for PVG T1.

Good Luck!

31 July SQ232 SYD-SIN B777-200ER
07 Aug TG402 SIN-BKK A330-300
07 Aug TG664 BKK-PVG A340-600
13 Aug CA1590 SHA-PEK B747-400
15 Aug FM9104 PEK-SHA B767-300
15 Aug TG665 PVG-BKK A340-600
16 Aug TG403 BKK-SIN B777-200
16 Aug SQ221 SIN-SYD A380-800
Old 9th July 2010, 10:26 AM

There is a metro station at Zhong Shan Park, an interchange for three lines.
Metro Line 2 (Green Line, the only one there underground) connects both airports. The frequency is 2 minutes.

Around 10 minutes to Hongqiao Airport station, the new terminal.
30 minutes to Long Yang Rd station, to connect the meglev to PVG.
1 hour 20 minutes all the way to PVG. The metro will terminate at Guang Lan Rd, then you just walk to the otherside of the platform to onboard the Line 2 airport link. The frequency here is 11 minutes.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:54 AM

I was in Shangahai a month ago at Hongqiao Airport and I was able to take lots of photos from the road leading to the terminal . I found the officials at the airport friendly and helpful and I suspect you will have no issues taking photos.

Just exlpain you interest if ask questions

Love the photos Grahame
Old 9th July 2010, 11:47 AM

Beauty, thanks guys.

I'm going to stay on an extra day or so to get some spotting in.

Darren