Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2013, 12:00 PM

Default Freighter Parking

Hi all, been about 3 years since I asked this and then it was only about the metro's which im not sure even still fly. But what is the parking set up for the night time freight flights please, TOLL 737's, AAE 737's and AAe, DHL and anything else that sneaks in under the cover of darkness. I guess the gate controller job is one that I have always liked the sound of, even though im sure its all computerised ! Cheers
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I guess the gate controller job is one that I have always liked the sound of, even though im sure its all computerised ! Cheers
In MEL it's still human control.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:31 PM

Toll 737's usually park at Bays 4 & 5 at the International Freight apron.

Aae 737 parks at Bay 83 which is located north of taxiway Bravo 1. The 146's use this area as well, also known as the pond.

DHL 757 parks at Bay 93A on the Domestic 4 apron outside the DHL warehouse.

Usually no metro or saab freighters anymore. Even the Cessna 404 that ran between Canberra/Sydney/Canberra seems to have disappeared.

Regards.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:47 PM

James im shocked I thought gate allocation would for sure be all computerised, but the good old paper and pencil lives on !!!

Cheers Paul for that info, big change to the over night ops in recent years since I left looking at that. Cant believe the Cessna seems to be no more it was like an icon for those who are interested in the night ops out there
Old 4th March 2013, 08:22 PM
Prolific Member

The terminal operations coordinators job at Sydney is one I'll admire from a distance. It is a seriously demanding job that requires chess-like forward planning and airport-wide cooperation from the airlines to ATC to airfield operations to the ARFF, BOM etc. Gate allocation is only part of the job, and that keeps them on their toes for most of their shift. A lot of it is computer data entry.

Honolulu on the other hand....well, they're still stuck in the 60's, but it works for them.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:23 AM

I'd imagine morning rush hour in particular would cause many a grey hair as they try and juggle things.
Good old Honolulu and their old ways I guess if you live in paradise like that why change indeed. And I thought Christchurch was behind times,although the new terminal is very impressive