Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2014, 02:06 AM

The jobs haven't affected anything as of yet, as far as I am aware as I am aware the areas in which the cuts will be are yet to be announced!
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 22nd February 2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Trevena View Post
Qantas has dropped many routes since they joined with EK, and I believe this has hurt QF big time.

I still don't understand why QF had to drop old Kangaroo Route through Singapore to London.
So what are these MANY routes they have dropped?

What comes to mind to me is SIN-LHR, PER-HGK (which had nothing to do with the EK arrangement) and ADL-SIN.

As to why QF dropped the old Kangaroo route, very simple. Not everyone going to Europe is flying to London. Fly to London people then need to fly all the way to London to change to another carrier to get to their destination. Even for say Amsterdam this would add 4 hours to your journey time.

However fly through Dubai, people can change there and in most cases get to where they want to go one stop. An added bonus for those up front is not having to fly and then change to BA Club Europe.
Old 22nd February 2014, 07:41 AM

Add SIN-FRA to that list also. Things aren't looking good for QF's South African service either. It seems to me that it's only Emirates and not Qantas that is benefiting from the QF-EK deal. In fact, things at Qantas only seem to have gone from bad to worse. Time for Joyce & Co to fall on their swords.
Old 22nd February 2014, 08:37 AM

it was always a desperate move from Qantas to join Emirates and in doing so sacrifice its own routes , Qantas should have kept the Syd - Singapore - London route with a 777 and add Paris or Franfurt like the old days , again using a 777 instead of the A380 which can be hard to fill on competitive routes
giving better optiosn for people travelling to Europe from Australia who don't need to go to LHR , Emirates don't give a damn whether Qantas survive or not , they are simply going to swallow them whole ! If Qantas do give up the Syd - Joberg route then it is simply another nail in the Qantas coffin !
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:07 AM
Prolific Member

Ash you forget that BNE,PER,ADL had the luxury of changing planes in SIN to fly to LHR which is no longer the case.I don't fly QF anymore but lot's of people still do, and this has not been good for them if they don't live in SYD or MEL.All these cities have to backtrack to SYD or MEL to fly Qantas.

cHEERS.
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:42 AM

Laurent - suggest you do some reading up on bilateral agreements.

Qantas was unable to operate daily services between Singapore and Paris. The bilateral between Singapore and France, only permitted SQ and AF to do so.

How could Qantas be competitive?
Old 22nd February 2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd fox View Post
Ash you forget that BNE,PER,ADL had the luxury of changing planes in SIN to fly to LHR which is no longer the case.I don't fly QF anymore but lot's of people still do, and this has not been good for them if they don't live in SYD or MEL.All these cities have to backtrack to SYD or MEL to fly Qantas.

cHEERS.
I was responding to the claim they have dropped heaps of routes, but yes forgot SIN-FRA. Lack of connections is another issue altogether, that is for sure. But at the end of the day Qantas cannot be everything to everybody. We simply do not have the population and traffic to justify it. I mean to say even in the US with over 12 times the population of Australia it is quite common for passengers from cities the size of Adelaide and Perth to have to fly through a hub port to get to places in Europe, Asia the Pacific and even closer destinations like Central and South America.
Old 24th February 2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
I was responding to the claim they have dropped heaps of routes, but yes forgot SIN-FRA. Lack of connections is another issue altogether, that is for sure. But at the end of the day Qantas cannot be everything to everybody. We simply do not have the population and traffic to justify it. I mean to say even in the US with over 12 times the population of Australia it is quite common for passengers from cities the size of Adelaide and Perth to have to fly through a hub port to get to places in Europe, Asia the Pacific and even closer destinations like Central and South America.
If we don't have the population, why do QF have behemoth 380s doing hub to hub instead of flying smaller planes point to point to more destinations?
Old 24th February 2014, 07:49 AM

I curse the A380.

An ugly aeroplane that has help contribute to QF's problems.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:26 AM

I agree. QF have old A330's flying around Asia and A380's flying half empty to London at various times of the year. Imagine if they had a fleet of Boeing 787's and Boeing 777's flying trans-Pacific routes, point to point Asian routes and services through to Europe and London? Oh, if only........