Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2009, 11:14 AM
Lukas M

Quote:
NO - You are wrong there

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_009799.html

Melbourne to Los Angeles, USA direct flights twice weekly from 1 December 2009.
It seems that could just be an error. Just off the phone to VA re my booking, and they assured me that it was 3 weekly

But who cares I guess.
Old 18th August 2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
6 flights per week isn't what I would call well served, there is plenty of room for more competition...I don't get the Melbourne idea, ok, the world cup gig and all is one thing, but what happens when that month is over? There isn't a large expat community of SA's in Melbourne.
I think the World Cup mention is a bit of PR but also a good kick start (no pun intended) as many people may be introduced to VA for the first time when they go to the World Cup.

I read in other posts/articles/websites that part of the JNB-MEL thinking was so increase the Virgin group's ability to sell round the world tickets (LON-JNB-MEL-LAX-LON as one option).

Not knowing the full demographic of South African expats in Perth, I'd expect they're not all from Jo'burg, so perhaps SA would be a better product for them to connect to/from other cities (similar to UA on the US-SYD route) and VA thought they'd try and create a new market. They may even get connecting traffic from BNE/ADL/SYD/NZ through MEL to JNB as domestic/international connections are easy in MEL anyway due to all terminals being connected under one roof unlike SYD/PER/BNE. They may even take away some of QF's and SA's connecting traffic through SYD and PER respectively.

Air Mauritius pulled out of Sydney but kept Melbourne, so maybe there is a market out of Melbourne for the Southern Indian Ocean region that VA have seen?
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL ADQ AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPR CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP EKO ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAC JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAN MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TVC TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA XWA YCD YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
12-13OCT LAS-COS/DEN-LAS WN
19-20OCT LAS-MIA-LAS AA
02-03NOV LAS-SAN/TIJ-LAS AS/Y4
07-12NOV LAS-DUB-LAS EI
15-27NOV LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-BNE-DFW-LAS AA/QF/VA
28NOV-02DEC LAS-OGG-MKK-HNL-LAS HA/9X
14-15DEC LAS-SBP-LAS AS
19DEC-05JAN LAS-LAX/SAN-MSY-MIA/MCO-IAD/LGA-ORD/MDW-LAS UA/WN/AA/DL
18-21JAN LAS-ONT/LAX-LAS WN/DL
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
15-18FEB LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
01-02MAR LAS-PHX-CLD/BUR-LAS AA/XE
21-22JUN CDC-SLC-CDC DL
Old 18th August 2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas M View Post
It seems that could just be an error. Just off the phone to VA re my booking, and they assured me that it was 3 weekly

But who cares I guess.
Me as I have a booking on the Tuesday flights

Otherwise I wouldn't care so much.

They assure me the flights are going as normal, but that does NOT reassure me at all they they did the same thing with the SYD and BNE launch and were still selling tickets for Sep/Oct/Nov flights MEL-LAX and saying they had no reason to delay the MEL-LAX launch, even though the plane wasn't due until after the launch....

Time will tell, but I am planning my onwards bookings so cannot rely on changes to my flight schedule.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
They assure me the flights are going as normal, but that does NOT reassure me at all they they did the same thing with the SYD and BNE launch
Remember that those delays were due to the Boeing strikes delaying delivery of their first planes... no planes no service!

There doesn't seem to be any real concern with the aircraft delivery schedule at this point in time.
Old 19th August 2009, 07:54 PM

Okay so after a few emails back and forward, V Australia still tell me that they are flying on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday MEL-LAX from 1st December.

When I pushed about the timings of the flight and if they would be "Non-Stop"

They recommended that "I take out travel insurance and read the fine print in case it didn't' cover delays" etc etc, as they are not sure if any of the flights will be non-stop....

Very POOR and NOT IMPRESSED.

I can see that V Aus will simply put people on a domestic flight from MEL to either SYD or BNE if the loads are not good enough for a direct flight from MEL-LAX.
Old 19th August 2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Correct Lukas it wont go back to two weekly until MEL-JNB starts in March 2010.
Interesting...

The booking engine shows 3 x weekly all through up until July next year...

MEL-LAX: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
LAX-MEL: Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays
Old 19th August 2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

Andrew I guess it all depends on aircraft rotations, I havent checked the booking engine myself and honestly am a bit confused since in the media they did say twice a week and could see it being three a week up until MEL-JNB started in March 10, lose the third service to start MEL-JNB. Im not sure how the rotations will work weather the aircraft that ops back to MEL from LAX will then ops to JNB and then back to MEL and then through again to LAX, or maybe the aircraft that does MEL-JNB-MEL wil then go to HKT and back to MEL, can see the need to two aircraft to be ops through MEL to meet the schedual, especially if as the booking engine suggests MEL-lAX remains x3 weekly.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks I honestly don't think VA really know what they are doing with MEL-LAX either. Their press release don't match their booking engine and the customer service reps are very VAGUE

My guess is all this is a publicity stunt to try to generate more bookings, if bookings don't increase they will simply shunt people via SYD/BNE.

The word "direct" is interesting, as it's not "non-stop"

I was very disappointed with the advice to simply take out travel insurance in case they stuff me around with flights.

I have booked 2 x J class seats with VA for next year MEL-LAX, cancellation fee is $550 each......

Very tempted just to cancel and book on Air NZ for peace of mind..
Old 19th August 2009, 09:29 PM

Demand them to either transfer you to another airline that does non-stop or ask for a full refund. You shouldn't have to pay $550 if they are not even able to tell you afterall you have paid the fare in goodwill. If they are not going ahead and still want you to pay the $550 I would bring this to the ACCC,
Old 19th August 2009, 10:00 PM

Yes well I booked my tickets about a month ago on the basis that the flight was non-stop and will operate by that.

The "confusion" around if the flights are 2 x weekly or 3 x weekly is concerning enough, let along that 2 different customer service reps have simply said to get travel insurance to cover me if they don't operate as advertised.

I will give them a call tomorrow and ask them to book me on Qantas or Air NZ, I know the answer will be NO.

I am not willing to wait for the day of departure and then find out for "operational reasons" that I am flying via SYD and will arrive into LAX 10 hours later than planned, and then miss my onward flights.