Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L. View Post
I didn't resurrect this thread to have a slanging match ruin it.
Justin,

They all want a shot at the title mate
Old 11th March 2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Qantas has urged the Federal Governmenet to open up RAAF bases to civilian traffic. The government's white paper due out later this year is expected to identify Sydney's second airport location.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
29-30JUN LAS-FAT-LAS WN/G4
03-09JUL LAS-MAN/LHR-LAS VS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
27-28JUL LAS-YVR/YCD-YVR-LAS AC/WS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS WN/F9
10-11AUG LAS-LAX-JAC-SLC-LAS UA/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
06-08SEP LAS-ANC-ADQ-ANC-LAS AS
14-16SEP LAS-CLT-LAS AA
20-22SEP LAS-DEN-XWA-LAS UA/SY
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
02-03NOV LAS-SAN/TIJ-LAS WN/Y4
07-12NOV LAS-DUB-LAS EI
28NOV-02DEC LAS-OGG-MKK-HNL-LAS HA/9X
19DEC-05JAN LAS-LAX/MSY-MIA UA/AA
18-21JAN LAX-LAS DL
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
15-18FEB LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 11th March 2009, 02:30 PM

I think Bankstown would be a good idea for Sydney's 2nd Airport. But Airport transfers and road system must be built as well to cater the needs for it.

Furthermore, how about other airports around Sydney such as Goulburn, Wollongong etc?
Old 11th March 2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
I think Bankstown would be a good idea for Sydney's 2nd Airport. But Airport transfers and road system must be built as well to cater the needs for it.

Furthermore, how about other airports around Sydney such as Goulburn, Wollongong etc?
As Griswold would say: Look Kids...it's Big Ben!!!!!
Old 11th March 2009, 04:04 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post

A few issues come to mind here...

Short runways at Bankstown with little room for expansion
Runways laterally spaced very close to each other. Major redevelopment would probably be required.
Surrounded by light industrial initially, but then residential areas in a Labor dominated electorate...political suicide for the current Labor Fed Govt if they choose this path.
Where would the GA aircraft go?

Goulburn would require a viable high speed rail link and airlines willing to use it (obviously Sydney is highly attractive due to its proximity to the city and surrounding infrastructure). I think there has been discussion on this previously in this thread.
Wollongong has the issue of the the surrounding escarpment, a relatively short runway with little room for expansion and a lack of a viable high speed rail link to Sydney.
Old 11th March 2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Where would the GA aircraft go?
Not that anyone not involved with aviation really cares, but this really is a big issue for any 'development' of Bankstown. Hoxton Park closed last year, Camden is overflowing and Bankstown has (admittedly unconnected to the 'second airport' thing) congestion issues complicated by air traffic controller shortages. A major capital city without effective GA infrastructure is not a pretty thought.

Wollongong? Damn big hills down that way (and Nigel's neighbours with bazookas), too much housing development in the area and no room to extend the runway.
Goulburn? Has potential, but I wouldn't call it a 'Sydney' airport. Too far away.
Richmond? Upgrade transport links, raze a small village or two for a north-south runway and kick the RAAF out and you might be on a winner.

Abolish the curfew? Hell no, apart from the political suicide implications thereof, I enjoy my few hours peace and quiet a night. Don't start with the 'you should have known about it before you moved there' argument that I know is a favourite with some here - I moved into an aircraft-noise-affected area in the full knowledge that I would be hearing aircraft noise... and also in the full knowledge that between 2300 and 0600 each night that noise would stop.

So what's the solution? I don't know. Richmond appears to be a resource with potential, but would need some upgrading to handle intercontinental flights (runway isn't very long). The question also remains of how you would split up traffic to each airport. Restrict SYD to International flights only, and send domestics and regionals to RIC? Good in theory, but remember that many passengers are transferring to other flights... especially off the regional services, some for international connections. Separating these into different airports that are geographically far apart may not be so productive.

They're complicated issues. A resolution will not keep everyone happy, regardless of what that solution eventually is. I'm not holding my breath for anything anytime soon however.
Old 11th March 2009, 06:57 PM

It isn't the curfew itself that annoys me, it is the rediculous noise sharing plans that CRIPPLE the airport.

Using runways that are not into wind to stop noise going up north (25/07), but then reducing the capacity of the airport in half. Having Melbourne departures using 34R and going half way to Auckland before being able to track to Melbourne, instead of 34L and a left turn.

All these noise issues are what cripple Sydney airport, and Australian aviation. They HAVE to go. They cost airlines in the hundreds of millions a year, and it would reduce fuel burn (and pollution) monumentally.

If we can't fly out of Sydney at midnight, fine, but at least allow us to use the SAFEST runway for takeoff, and even remotely direct tracking for one of the busiest trunk routes in the world.
Old 11th March 2009, 07:02 PM

If Richmond ceased to be a RAAF base anymore, that would leave NSW without any major RAAF bases/facilities wouldn't it,apart from Williamtown which already has a comercial part to it? Or is that not really much of a concern?
But i mean there is a fair bit of movement in and out of there usually, as well as the weekly cargo run from USAF (even though thats not a major thing, could easily fly somewhere else as its stop over before Alice Springs), or am i looking at this thing the wrong way and it doesnt really matter if Richmond wasnt RAAF anymore?
Old 11th March 2009, 07:43 PM

Correct me if I am wrong.... Richmond only has ILS from the East ???
with the mountains so close, would it be possible to install and ILS from the West???

If Richmond was to become a 2nd airport, wouldnt the Civil industry want ILS from the West ??

Cheers
Old 12th March 2009, 04:25 AM

As Adam said earlier with Richmond, it'd need some work and purchasing of industrial sites, university land and homes around the base to allow the required expansion to occur. The main link between Windsor and Richmond would also need to be moved or placed under ground to allow a North-South runway to be built.

Even the current East -West runway may need to be longer depending on aircraft types using the "new" commercial airport. Fog is an issue at Richmond a well.

Governments would need to improve road and rail infrastrucure, especially for connections to Mascot for international travellers (if that is indeed how it will work) as the rail trip is around 1hr 20 just to central at present, and not all that regular.

The other rather large factor is where would the current RAAF resident units go to? Amberley is full, Townsville isn't that big a base and Darwin (also a major army base) isn't ideal due to weather in the tropical season. Build a new base?