Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
If we don't have the population, why do QF have behemoth 380s doing hub to hub instead of flying smaller planes point to point to more destinations?
By smaller how small do you meant? A320/737 size or bigger? Because population wise A320 size is about what is needed for say a daily Perth/Adealide/Brisbane to London service, but clearly it cannot make it unless you want a couple of extra stops.

So the smallest that can make it 1 stop would be a 777-200 or maybe an A330, both of which would be too big for daily.

Also do not forget also that slots at Heathrow don't grow on trees either, though yes Qantas do have two pairs that they own but are currently leased out.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=Ryan K;87614]QF have old A330's flying around AsiaQUOTE]

10 years is hardly old. If you had of said an old product then yes 10 is at the maximum of sensible, though Qantas is doing something about that this year, at about the right time.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:13 AM

Steve S , don't blame the A380 , Blame Qantas management for choosing it !! The A380 is designed for airlines such as Singapore and Emirates etc which have high volumes of flow through pax numbers ( HUB airports) , Australia is an end destination and Qantas management should have used its brains and gone for the 777 300 for Sydney - London , and maybe use the 777 or 787 later on US flights , keeping the 747 400ER as long as poss. the A380 is a great aircraft but in my view not suited to Qantas ,
Old 24th February 2014, 12:27 PM

Guys,

QF has evaluated the B777 numerous times and have rejected it for a variety of reasons.

They are the technical experts, not anyone on this or other message boards

Give us all a break and stop saying QF should have B777's

They don't, so get over it !

It is such a boring discussion point for too many years
Old 24th February 2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil L View Post
Guys,

QF has evaluated the B777 numerous times and have rejected it for a variety of reasons.
Or maybe not......

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-mulls...ce-boeing-747s
Old 24th February 2014, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Ash W;87617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
QF have old A330's flying around AsiaQUOTE]

10 years is hardly old. If you had of said an old product then yes 10 is at the maximum of sensible, though Qantas is doing something about that this year, at about the right time.
Sorry, I should have perhaps been more clear. I was referring to the A330 in-flight product. Old, small screens and seat covers that haven't been replaced since who knows how long.
Old 24th February 2014, 03:19 PM

Qantas, as all airlines do, has evaluated many types (if not all major ones ) of aircraft over all the years.

The current range of B777's were extensively evaluated and rejected and the new B777X has only recently been launched and no doubt QF will look at that as well as the A350.

I refer to the older models of B777's that so many armchair experts think they know better that the QF technical and management people.

My original comments remain
Old 24th February 2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil L View Post
Guys,

They are the technical experts, not anyone on this or other message boards

Give us all a break and stop saying QF should have B777's

They don't, so get over it !

It is such a boring discussion point for too many years
Bit of a sore point Neil?

The fact of the matter is that QF HAVE made a mistake, the incumbent board and leaders of the company are choosing to make that point stick. Whether you like to discuss it or not people are entitled to and can make judgements as they please whether informed or not.

The facts are well known that VAI is making profit with 5(!) B77Ws on key trunk routes as they have accepted they are a point to point airline much like ANZ. The B788 is a good choice for QFi not JQi which has had to alter their plans for services out of OOL due to not having the performance they thought it would with the pax numbers in current config.

Disclaimer: I work in the industry.
Old 24th February 2014, 03:26 PM

Further, look at ANZ, they attained brand new B77W slots in a matter of months, I'm sure this is quite achievable with QFi, mind you QF has lost a lot of friends recently so that could be easier said then done, on the other hand their BFF has some decent slots...
Old 24th February 2014, 04:03 PM

Not a sore point James.

Just as I express an opinion then so can you and others.

Just sick and tired of the anti QF attitudes and that they should have brought B777's that keep cropping up. To be honest just gets tedious as the subject is flogged to death over the years on this and other boards.

I worked in the industry for a long time and still have many reliable contacts including knowing some of those who were involved in those decisions.

Remember the A380 & B787-8/9 should have been delivered years earlier than has happened. They were ordered as the most suitable aircraft at that time. The B777's at that time were considered unsuitable.

Remember that VA also cancelled their 6th B777

As you know, things change rapidly in this business, that is why it is exciting.