Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th May 2009, 08:51 PM

That will be the next thing to go.......

If they have stooped to charging for exit row seats they will cull free booze before long.
Old 29th May 2009, 07:24 AM

NickN: Most PAX only get a single drink with dinner and I imagine this would cost QF perhaps $3 to $4 at the most out of the ticket price. This would be less than the highly publicised cost of Qantas IT measured as a percentage of ticket price. It has been reported that QF IT represents around 10% of a ticket price, so for a red-e fare of $89 one way SYD-MEL, IT costs are probably equal or greater than the meal costs including the free drink.

However, you won't find many $89 seats on the peak hour CityFlyer flights and they are generally on the edge, say after 7:30pm at night. I have noticed the QF flights are now nearly full again during peak and that in the last 2 months effective prices have gone up by around $30 one way for the same flight and that the 767's are back on services that were 737 and the :15 and :45 flight departures are also back. So I think it will be interesting to see the QF load and RPK factors for domestic in Apr, May and Jun.

The two brand strategy has been working very well for QF and has is what is essentially responsible for the new world carrier approach at DJ. DJ got squeezed at both ends by QF and JQ, likewise JQ has done a good job of containing new entrants such as Tiger.

If QF was to cut the CityFlyer full service approach then they would have to slug it out directly against DJ and Tiger but with a higher overall cost base. This wouldn't work and is why they started JQ in the first place. There are still two types of flyers in the domestic market, those who enjoy the full service and are willing to pay a few extra dollars for it (and it is literally a few extra dollars fare bucket compared to fare bucket) and those who are not. It is not a case of PAX changing in large numbers to DJ or Tiger but the traditional QF PAX is not flying at all, in any way shape or form at the moment. Companies are not saying that staff have to fly DJ, they are saying you cannot travel at all. Those who are still travelling are doing so because it is income generating, internal meetings that would have been done face to face are now being done over the web or over the phone.

However everything is runs in cycles and as I mentioned domestically I am already having a seat mate on most flights where as a few months ago I would have had a row of 3 to myself and I have noticed I am also paying more at the same time. So I still think your prediction of the demise of QF is a little early and I would encourage you to research a little further rather than basing your argument around opinion and selecting facts as you end up only looking for information which supports your arguments rather than looking at the whole picture.
Old 29th May 2009, 07:37 AM

Kelvin my point was..... if they are going to charge for an exit row seat to squeeze a few extra dollars per flight, you could imagine how close they are to culling the free booze.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Is Joyce just looking for an excuse to hike up fares to make some cash or is he for real?
I think you're on to something here Nick.
Old 29th May 2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Kelvin my point was..... if they are going to charge for an exit row seat to squeeze a few extra dollars per flight, you could imagine how close they are to culling the free booze.
given that Australia is a nation of alcoholics and binge drinkers, I highly doubt your prediction will ever see the light of day.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 29th May 2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
given that Australia is a nation of alcoholics and binge drinkers
Apart from being a huge generalization......

I think most average Australians would take offence to that comment.

Last edited by NickN; 29th May 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 29th May 2009, 09:51 AM
Prolific Member

Question here that if Qantas are going to make a loss in the 2nd half of this financial year, even with the cost cutting as per the below article, how can you say for sure they wont cut out the free drinks and other complimentaries.

Article below states a loss for 2nd part of this financial year.

E blackboard yesterday

Quote:
Qantas jobs safe as capital is stable
Thursday, 28 May 2009
Email ArticleEmail Print ArticlePrint Add your CommentsAdd Comments

Qantas employees can now rest easy with the airline’s chief executive saying yesterday that there was no need to cut capacity or jobs or raise capital anymore.

CEO Alan Joyce told Reuters that the carrier had built up its cash balances and had deferred capital expenditure for its future plans.

“We have used those other mechanisms to make sure that Qantas has sufficient balance-sheet strength to get through our view of the current environment”

Joyce’s remarks have quashed market rumours that Qantas would need to start selling new shares again after it raised A$500 million ($390 million) in February.

Despite the impact of the swine flu on its operations in Japan, which Joyce said its low-cost arm Jetstar has had to cancel a third of flights from, Qantas has been seeing growth in its freight business in China.

The carrier has previously announced job cuts of 1750 and a capacity reduction of 5 percent. Qantas expects a loss for second half of the 2009 financial year.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
(12:00 from PER).
Beer and wine are complimentary on Perth Cityflyer after 0930 everyday (any flight where lunch is served).
Old 29th May 2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Question here that if Qantas are going to make a loss in the 2nd half of this financial year, even with the cost cutting as per the below article, how can you say for sure they wont cut out the free drinks and other complimentaries.
Thats a very valid point Lloyd, something which has not yet been raised in this discussion.

Quote:
CEO Alan Joyce told Reuters that the carrier had built up its cash balances and had deferred capital expenditure for its future plans.
Ok so they have deferred capital expenditure..... but what plans have been placed on hold as a result?

Who would you want at the reigns in a time like this ? Joyce or Dixon?
Old 29th May 2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Apart from being a huge generalization......

I think most average Australians would take offence to that comment.
I think that saying we are all alcos is a bit extreme but Montague does have a point - generally Australia has a strong drinking culture just like UK compared to other countries. Every week there seems to be some sort of violence/disturbance associated with alcohol...