Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2010, 05:08 PM

CX (with KA) run 18 flights a day TPE - HKG, and 4 from KHH, and most of this traffic is only in transit to the mainland
Old 29th March 2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
CX (with KA) run 18 flights a day TPE - HKG, and 4 from KHH, and most of this traffic is only in transit to the mainland
Whilst a large number of flights serves for connection to the mainland, there are still a large number of passengers taking CX/KA from Taiwan to other SE Asian and European destinations, since those from Taiwan is limited.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 29th March 2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cleary View Post
I hope they are not depending on that now, given the number of direct flights between Taiwan and the Mainland these days.
Exactly. But Air Macau hopes and reality are different.
Old 29th March 2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will H View Post
Arthur,
As others have already indicated, debating the existence of LCCs is not going to go far.

What we do need to consider is the cause of the situation, and I'm not satisfied with the reports we have at present.

I have not yet seen Australian Aviation's article, but I wrote a feature article about Viva Macau in 2009. What stood out to me (and continues to as I talk to people at the carrier) is the regulatory constraints. Air Macau has given Viva non-retractable permission to fly to a handful of B-list destinations. Other destinations--Sydney, Tokyo--are at Air Macau's discretion.

Viva wanted to fly to SIN and Air Macau rejected them, even though Air Macau did not and still does not fly to SIN. Subsequently Macau carriers lost the SIN market to Tiger etc.

Air Macau is a story within itself, but I would not be surprised to hear there was politicking to force this action on Viva.

We've never gotten insight into why the original CEO left and why his replacement Con Korfiatis left last year.

The Airways article is severely mis-informed.

Viva is not out to provide an alternative to expensive HKG and CX. Viva aims to promote Macau, not "snaring peanut-paying passengers from its neighboring city Hong Kong".

As for Viva competing with CX, I don't see validity in that. If you want to go to Macau and fly CX, you'll have to go HKG, go into the city, and then take the ferry.

Moreover, until Air Macau started (or is supposed to start) flying to NRT, Viva is the only carrier flying the routes it does. It has no other direct competition.

Macau's future is on tourism, and Viva aims to support that. Air Macau, however, has shown itself interested in funneling passengers from Taiwan to mainland China, and not being Macau's airline. The business community in Macau understands they need an airline committed to Macau as a destination and not Macau as a transit point.

I would be very, very surprised to see this be Viva's end.
Will, I guess it saids it all when the government is not backing on the airline anymore...if you do a search on google, you can find a handful of articles regarding this news...
I guess the macau government or should I say Mr. Stanley Ho would have to come up with a new company with better airline executives to run the show if the city do "require" an airline for the tourism industry...and that airline should be independent of Air Macau "if possible"
Old 29th March 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
Finally, the collapse of Viva Macau further illustrates budget carrier will collapse at some point and will never work. Hence I would say it'd be better for Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue, JetStar and Tiger Airways to stop adopting those stupid budget model now and change to high cost luxious model (including free 32KG luggage, 2-3 course meals, Free AVOD and a decent 50" seat width and 38" seat pitch minimum for all passengers) or else you all are risking yourself from collapsing and winding up yourself.
Okay and then

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2010022...kqhqgymmq5.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgin Blue
SYDNEY 24 February 2010: Virgin Blue Holdings Limited today reported a net profit after tax of $62.5 million for the six months to 31 December 2009
No further comment required.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:41 PM

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...n-2-april.html

I guess that Easter is probably the best time of year to try to stage a comeback from the dead ( after all , there is a precedent ) , but I doubt very much that they will be able to get peoples confidence back .
Old 30th March 2010, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will H View Post
If you want to go to Macau and fly CX, you'll have to go HKG, go into the city, and then take the ferry.
You can actually take a ferry to Macau (as well as many other Pearl River Delta destinations in China) direct from Hong Kong Airport, albeit the number of ferries from the airport to Macau are less than from Hong Kong Central or Kowloon.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
29-30JUN LAS-FAT-LAS WN/G4
03-09JUL LAS-MAN/LHR-LAS VS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
27-28JUL LAS-YVR/YCD-YVR-LAS AC/WS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS WN/F9
10-11AUG LAS-LAX-JAC-SLC-LAS UA/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
06-08SEP LAS-ANC-ADQ-ANC-LAS AS
14-16SEP LAS-CLT-LAS AA
20-22SEP LAS-DEN-XWA-LAS UA/SY
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
07-12NOV LAS-DUB-LAS EI
28NOV-02DEC LAS-OGG-MKK-HNL-LAS HA/9X
19DEC LAS-LAX UA
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
15-18FEB LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 30th March 2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K. View Post
Will, I guess it saids it all when the government is not backing on the airline anymore...if you do a search on google, you can find a handful of articles regarding this news...
I guess the macau government or should I say Mr. Stanley Ho would have to come up with a new company with better airline executives to run the show if the city do "require" an airline for the tourism industry...and that airline should be independent of Air Macau "if possible"
One might argue the government wasn't really supportive to begin with.

As for the articles, up until yesterday they all said the same thing. Now that Viva has issued a statement and is commenting, news is starting to trickle out.
Old 30th March 2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lazaroff View Post
You can actually take a ferry to Macau (as well as many other Pearl River Delta destinations in China) direct from Hong Kong Airport, albeit the number of ferries from the airport to Macau are less than from Hong Kong Central or Kowloon.
confirming what you've said I actually know some who have done this. For me it's too much of a hassle but it's possible to save around 500-600 dollars
Old 7th April 2010, 01:41 PM

Looks like Viva is giving up.

Quote:
As a direct result of the revocation of the Viva Macau Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) – a globally unprecedented event in international aviation – Viva Macau is now seeking legal advice for an orderly and responsible winding down of the business.
http://www.flyvivamacau.com/au/en/pr...office-closure