Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2009, 06:32 PM

Fantastic photo Graham, definately something to treasure.
Old 13th January 2009, 07:04 PM

RIP Nancy, What a marvellous life you had, may your memories and achievements live on everytime OQA takes to the sky
Old 13th January 2009, 07:35 PM

Rest In Peace Nancy.
my condolences, sympathy and prayers to her family and friends.

deferentially a photograph to treasure Grahame.
Old 13th January 2009, 08:00 PM

An unfortunate loss indeed. Condolences to the family.

This quote says it all:

Quote:
"Qantas first asked if they could name this magnificent plane after me at my 90th birthday three years ago and I made it my decision to stay alive for today's ceremony ... and I've made it,"
Old 13th January 2009, 09:05 PM

Post Tributes flow for Nancy-Bird

Here's the latest collection of fitting tributes from ABC News Online:

Quote:

Tributes flow for aviation 'trailblazer' Bird Walton

Tributes have poured in from around the country for one of Australia's most famous aviators, Nancy Bird Walton, who died today aged 93.

Meanwhile, her family has accepted New South Wales Premier Nathan Rees's offer of a state funeral for the aviation pioneer, but a date has not been set yet.
Bird Walton is being remembered as a headstrong and vivacious Australian, and an inspiration to women.
Qantas chief Alan Joyce last saw her in October, and said she leaves a huge legacy.
"Her history of achievements for Australian aviation is a very long one," he said.
"She was absolutely an amazing character. She was always full of life, full of enthusiasm. Her zest for aviation was something that was very clear for everyone to see."
Mr Joyce called Bird Walton a "great pioneer" and a "trailblazer".
"That's something we'll greatly miss," he said.
"She contributed a significant amount to aviation in Australia.
"She's been an inspiration to so many aviators. Qantas sends its condolences to her family, to her friends."
Bird Walton's 82-year old brother Raymond Bird lives at Cooktown in far north Queensland, and says she had a very good flying instructor.
"[Sir Charles] Kingsford Smith taught her to fly and Smithy was a personal friend of hers," he said.
"But she did a lot of outback flying in her young career.
"When she was 18, 19 and 20 she would take a doctor or a nurse to various outstations to treat patients or even fly patients to hospital."
Ms Bird Walton later started an air ambulance service for outback New South Wales and headed the Women's Air Training Corps during World War II.

Govt tributes

Acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard says Bird Walton dispelled the myth that flying was a "bloke's job".
Ms Gillard said she was, and would remain, a national icon who inspired generations of women.
"Nancy Bird led the way for women pilots. Ever since her first flight, she helped dispel the myth that flying is solely a man's domain," she said in a statement.
"Nancy Bird's achievements ... have inspired generations of women to forge careers in the aviation industry and reach for the skies in all walks of life."
Nationals leader Warren Truss also paid tribute to Ms Walton.
"She took great pride in seeing the success and acceptance of women in aviation," he said.
"Nancy Bird Walton was an extraordinary pilot, adventurer, businesswoman and humanitarian, and the nation is poorer for her loss."lped dispel the myth that flying is solely a man's domain," she said in a statement.
"Nancy Bird's achievements ... have inspired generations of women to forge careers in the aviation industry and reach for the skies in all walks of life."
Nationals leader Warren Truss also paid tribute to Ms Walton.
"She took great pride in seeing the success and acceptance of women in aviation," he said.
"Nancy Bird Walton was an extraordinary pilot, adventurer, businesswoman and humanitarian, and the nation is poorer for her loss."
Old 13th January 2009, 09:41 PM

Such a sad day in Aviation in Australia, She made it to the naming ceremony which is what she wanted which was great!
Old 14th January 2009, 10:21 AM

What a wonderful and eloquent Lady, had the pleasure of meeting her at Parafield in 1996, she was part of the crew of the Lockheed 12 VH-UZO in the Ansett Air Race.

An absolute honour to have spent 10 minutes of my life with her!

She is probably the last link we have with the Sir Charles Kingsford Smith era.

One of Australia's true icons and I am glad she lived to see the A380 named in her honour.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:24 PM
Ben Thiele

My father took a joy-flight with her in country NSW back in the 30's, all he remembers was it was a bi-plane and they were chasing wildlife, geese he thinks, (he was in his mid-teens at the time).

He had a book on Charles Kingsford Smith which she inscribed for him, when they met again in 1988.

"To Ben,
A brave man who flew with me,
Best wishes Nancy-Bird 1988"

This book is now in my treasured possession.

A great woman and a great life.

Thanks NB
Old 14th January 2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thiele View Post
My father took a joy-flight with her in country NSW back in the 30's, all he remembers was it was a bi-plane and they were chasing wildlife, geese he thinks, (he was in his mid-teens at the time).

He had a book on Charles Kingsford Smith which she inscribed for him, when they met again in 1988.

"To Ben,
A brave man who flew with me,
Best wishes Nancy-Bird 1988"

This book is now in my treasured possession.

A great woman and a great life.

Thanks NB
That would have to be somewhat priceless for you to have...

So sad to farewell a pioneering aviator... Gone, but never forgotten...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 14th January 2009, 04:08 PM

We were sad to hear Nancy Bird Walton passed away and our condolences to her family. R I P for Nancy.

Regards from

Cliff and Diana Cook