Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2011, 05:35 PM

Clearly a very rushed service! I know a 767 has been subbed on the CBR-SYD flights in the past - I wonder how many pax the crew get around to when that happens!

Does anyone remember flying on TAA/Ansett F-27s on this flight? I believe they used to do an "actual" meal service of some sorts back in the day
Old 10th May 2011, 06:15 PM

In the 70s, when I was in the first couple of years of high school, I use to fly down to Canberra for the day every so often (I had wonderfully indulgant parents). I would get the 7.10am (or it could have been 7.20 am) TAA flight down. It was always a DC-9. I would spent the day down there then get the 7.20pm Ansett flight back - again always a DC-9. Because I was a student I got half fare and, being pre petrol price explosion days, the fares were quite cheap (comparatively). So I would fly first class (there was no business at that stage). Going down there was always a hot breakfast served to first class and a hot dinner coming back - BLISS!! I have one ticket stored somewhere and, without hunting it out, I can't remember if it was for a first class fare or one time when I slummed it in economy. Anyways, the one-way fare was a whole $6.20(!!!)
Old 11th May 2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysztof M View Post
Once when we took off from RWY16R and landed on RWY17 in Canberra we made it in 19 minutes takeoff to touchdown
When we flew down on the 767 for the Canberra Airport Open Day last year, I remember the flight took less time than the episode of Two and a half men they were showing! Was still playing it as we were backtracking the runway in CBR!
Old 12th May 2011, 11:15 AM

Will be sure to take note of air time this Saturday.
Down to CBR on QF771 and back on QF884 dare I say the QF884 will be quite quick given the wind forecast and low traffic levels on Saturday night in SYD.
Old 12th May 2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Milton View Post
You would not get this service anywhere else in the world though so I do not know why a service other than water and juice is offered.
I flew Air Baboo from Geneva to Milan via Marseille on a dash 8 and got meals and drinks (non alcoholic ) and didnt seem to be that long in the air for those 2 flights - quite good actually!

I did the 737 down and dash 8 back to Canberra from Sydney a few years back and certainly preferred the Dash 8 service and food over the 737
Old 18th May 2011, 11:20 AM

On one of the few times I actually kept the timings, it was 0:29 from takeoff to touchdown SYD-CBR on VH-VXJ. Took 0:36 in the Q400 return.

Have been in the back of the 734 once or twice when the 'complimentary' afternoon alcohol service was stopped before it reached me.
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
I remember flying on a SYD-CBR QF 737 flight about four years back and we were in the air for 24 minutes. We basically watched the Deborah Hutton QF promo and the Nine News with just enough time for some fruit bar and an orange juice.
Similarly, I remember flying MEL-LST on an Ansett 737 one night. The flying time was 39 minutes and a hot dinner with drinks was served to every passenger. The flight attendents always seemed to have to rush through the meal service on MEL-LST flights.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:59 AM

Got back from Melbourne last night but they did not serve any tea or coffee on the flight. F/A told me it was because of the short duration of the flight. First time I had this in all my flights between SYD and MEL.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:12 PM

What was the aircraft type? Perhaps this has something to do with it...
Old 24th May 2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brownbill View Post
What was the aircraft type? Perhaps this has something to do with it...
767. VH-ZXC was the rego from memory.