Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 29th January 2010, 08:23 AM

Lloyd, perhaps you are right. What would have been your course of action to get those passengers home earlier than Jetstar did?
Old 29th January 2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
they will never fly Jetstar again even though they were compensated by the airline.
Some people are never satisfied.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:55 AM

What course of action should have been taken?!

There are plenty of one-stop options from Phuket to Australia (via BKK, SIN, KUL etc etc), and I have no doubt with the number of flights available that seats could have been found for all pax within 24hrs, even during a busy period.

I would also suggest that once the flight cost is refunded, $600? vouchers are issued and meals and accommodation are paid, the cost to JQ would be similar to putting them on alternative (full-service) airlines. Plus you would have happy (at least happier) pax.

Just another thought. JQ have recently announced this big partnership with Air Asia. In such cases, they could perhaps put something in place to use Air Asia capacity (via KUL obviously) to get at least some of the pax home - might not have worked in this particular occasion, but certainly something worth considering.

Overall, in this respect, JQ are inconsistent. A couple of years back my SYD-CHC flight with JQ was cancelled. When we arrived to check-in, we were directed straight to the Air NZ counter and arrived in CHC on the NZ flight just an hour later than we would have had the JQ flight operated. The exit row seat and in-flight catering were an added bonus! In this case, one quickly forgets about the JQ cancellation and enjoys the holiday (if anything, it makes you praise Jetstar for their efficient action!).
Old 29th January 2010, 10:19 AM

JQ aren't lucky enough to have Air NZ backup in Thailand to ferry pax back to Oz.

For whatever reason they chose to do what they did for a reason and the pax were accommodated and given credits and refunds.

Better than getting told to "shove it".
Old 29th January 2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Nigel C Nothing. I think it's just you.
Yeah, I guess it's just me that the QF 330 scared the hell out of (and injured some) pax ducking and diving near Perth. Just me that another JQ leaving people stranded on a Honolulu flight recently (maybe a few months ago) and it's just me that when I was at the Airport (YSSY) a month or two back, a JQ 330 was delayed to a Tech problem, then with it did eventually taxy out to RWY34L and lined up, it then had to be towed back to the gate from there forcing a China Southern 330 to go around.

And this is just from memory without doing a search.

Maybe it is the media's fault then?
Old 29th January 2010, 12:05 PM

Thai was the other most logical option but apparently they were sold out.

There is always ways to get out of somewhere, even if it takes 2 to 3 stops. Any desperate passengers would have done their research to see if there were any options. JQ would not pay to put them on another full service carrier.

JQ went far and away beyond what their obligations are in this case.
Old 29th January 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it's just me that the QF 330 scared the hell out of (and injured some) pax ducking and diving near Perth. Just me that another JQ leaving people stranded on a Honolulu flight recently
Mike, it's not only JQ who have those issues, other major carriers also have experienced in-flight issues as well as pax delays. AND a whole host of carriers using different equipment.

If you want to draw on evidence such as what you have above then you better include about 50 other airlines who have to cancel flights due to tech issues, have to accommodate passengers overnight, who's aircraft experience a "bumpy" ride in-flight.

Would you prefer a bumpy A330 or a 777-come-glider?
Old 29th January 2010, 05:34 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Yeah, I guess it's just me that the QF 330 scared the hell out of (and injured some) pax ducking and diving near Perth. Just me that another JQ leaving people stranded on a Honolulu flight recently (maybe a few months ago) and it's just me that when I was at the Airport (YSSY) a month or two back, a JQ 330 was delayed to a Tech problem, then with it did eventually taxy out to RWY34L and lined up, it then had to be towed back to the gate from there forcing a China Southern 330 to go around.

And this is just from memory without doing a search.
Mike, it's a shame you don't get to see, or hear about, or comment on, the B737's that get occasional flap problems, the Q400's that have the occasional engine overspeed issues and have to shut one down, the B767 with the odd hydraulic issue, the E170's with the tyre deflation problems etc, etc, etc. You may have a slightly better balanced view otherwise

Most issues don't even make the media, but when one airline or aircraft type becomes the flavour of the month, then that's all you'll hear about. Unfortunately the A330 fits the bill this month.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:03 PM

FYI a Wednesday JQ flight (dept 1030am ish I think) from Syd to Mel went tech the night before, and my SIL was moved to a Qantas flight. No reason given, but the SMS service seemed to make a difference. No issue,s all organised and I belive everyone got to Melbourne the same day. Credit where it is due.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:22 PM

Adrian, it's extremely common for JQ to put pax on QF in the event of a service being canceled. Domestic ops are much easier for them to rectify considering they are part of the Qantas Group.
Closed Thread