Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2009, 03:17 AM

Liam - Great points raised ... despite me having been awake for over 22 hours and having just worked a very busy 12 hour overnight shift, I was beaming as the trip I waited so long for had finally started and i would have the chance to fly the A380! I approached check in with a big smile, greeted the agent very politely, handed over documents and asked, again politely if an exit row was available, flight left at 1030 from MEL, i was there at 0800, was connecting to QF11 in SYD, to this point the check in agent could not manage a smile and clearly was a bit grumpy, when i questioned the logic about splitting a bag for the sake of 5kg her attitude naturally got worse and to this point i was courteous, I even explained I was travelling alone and did not want to do public transport with an extra bag and asked her to please see what she can do, naturally nothing changed and this is when i got grumpy, overall whilst waiting for the manager to attend i looked around, saw a 29.? kg bag checked in by another agent, who actually smiled as opposed to everyone else there.

Further to this Liam, I chose OneWorld so that i could use QF, i figured due to the current economic climate i would try and contribute to my national airline who employs many Aussies, even if they would not be getting much, better than giving the money overseas and i figured QF may have changed since my last few experiences, unfortunatly i was wrong, i will now rather pay double for a fare to fly any other airline apart from QF, even if that means multi stops or long transits, i have no respect for an airline that has a complete disregard to their customers, a completly incompetent management team in MEL and i'll voice that by using other carriers for my twice yearly long haul trips, I probably wont write to QF about this as really they don't care anyway.

David - As for the rules are rules business ... either apply the same policy to all or don't apply the policy all together.

Jon B - Retagging a bag to an alternate destination is childish and frankly stupid behaviour, and i guess if the check in agents act this way, really, why should the passengers behave any better to them?

And just a message to all who think that this is all just a rant and trivial and that i give out the negative vibes ... Out of the 16 sectors this was the only flight of concern, IB provided a far better service, from checkin to inflight to arrival, everything was fantastic! and so was UA ... shame our national airline could not better UA or IB.

Hakan

PS: I work in emergency services now and need to provide a high level of customer service, i have previously worked in many customer service fields ranging from hospitality to insurance to retail and hence whilst to some i may be giving off negative vibes, it is purely because i have a low tolerance for bad service, no matter how bad a day someone is having or whatever problems may occur in the workplace or your private life, anyone involved in customer service should always be striving to be the best they can and to provide an excellent service ... something that in my belief was clearly lacking on this day from all staff involved.

MEL - HKG / HKG - ZRH - DUS / DUS - FCO / VCE - PRG / PRG - IST / IST - ECN / ECN - ZRH - BKK / BKK - MEL

December 28 to January 24

MEL - LAX / LAX - LAS (Vegas New Year!) / LAS - JFK / JFK - MIA / MCO - LAX / LAX - MEL

Last edited by Hakan I; 6th June 2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Adding more detail.
Old 6th June 2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
At the end of the day why anyone would want to travel with 28kg's of baggage if they are not migrating to another country is beyond me. I am on a 5 week Euro vacation at the momment and feel like ive got far too much with 13kg's even.
I hear you Tim, I have a large family in North Cyprus which i am very close to, visit them every year, this year three of my cousins are getting married, another two have had kids and another got engaged, so about 15kg of my luggage was gifts that i was bringing with me ... that and a ex girlfriend (long story but still great mates) migrated to the UK and she needed some items from home that she could not get where she was, so to sum up ... little of it was actually my own.

Hakan

MEL - HKG / HKG - ZRH - DUS / DUS - FCO / VCE - PRG / PRG - IST / IST - ECN / ECN - ZRH - BKK / BKK - MEL

December 28 to January 24

MEL - LAX / LAX - LAS (Vegas New Year!) / LAS - JFK / JFK - MIA / MCO - LAX / LAX - MEL
Old 6th June 2009, 06:56 PM

Roger that makes more sense I was going to say that was a awful amount for a normal trip anyhow.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Anyone who retags a bag to an alt destination deliberately to get back at a pax should be fired and then have to repay the cost of repatriating the baggage. Imho of course.
Absolutely agree James.

This is appalling and I'm starting to think that the woman was fired rather than resigning,

I hope this is a joke and not really what goes on with QF