Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th October 2009, 06:34 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
Virgin Blue and The Black Eyed Peas break a Guinness World Record!

Internationally acclaimed three time Grammy winners THE BLACK EYED PEAS have added a ‘world record’ to their long list of achievements after rocking out at 41,000 feet on a special “Mile High Karaoke’ Virgin Blue flight from Melbourne to Perth on Friday.

In what was an Australian first, The Black Eyed Peas jammed live during the private four hour long flight smashing the current Guinness World Record for ‘highest ever concert performed on an aircraft’ set by British band ‘Jamairoquai’ in 2007.

On their flight to Perth Virgin Blue, The Black Eyed Peas and nearly 140 V.i.P Guests onboard achieved an altitude of 41,000 feet to nab the current Guinness World Record.

will.i.am, Fergie, Taboo and apl.de.ap, collectively known as The Black Eyed Peas, who arrived in Perth to a ‘rock star’ welcome, were ecstatic about the achievement.

Fergie said, “It was exciting to make history while having a silly, crazy time doing it!". Taboo added, “This was the true meaning of the ultimate natural high in the sky and we all need to experience a mile high karaoke club".

Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, “This is the first Guinness World Record breaking stunt we’ve been involved with and we’re just thrilled to have been a part of it by partnering with The Black Eyed Peas and successfully pulling off an in-flight gig of this magnitude. So I’d like send my congratulations to The Peas and also to the extensive Virgin Blue team who have worked day and night for months to turn a ‘crazy idea’ into a reality.”

The Black Eyed Peas performed the final Australian concert of their The E.N.D World Tour at Perth’s Burswood Dome on Saturday night.

The Black Eyed Peas have made history with the longest successive stay at the top of the USA Billboard Hot 100 chart with 26 consecutive weeks at number 1. “I Gotta Feeling” has held the top spot for the past fourteen weeks after replacing their first single “Boom Boom Pow” which then spent 12 weeks at number 1. This is the longest consecutive stay for any artist in the Billboard chart’s 51-year history.

Official partners of the Mile High Karaoke flight include Virgin Blue Airlines Group (incorporating Virgin Blue, V Australia, Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue), The Black Eyed Peas, News Limited, Frontier Touring and Universal Music.

High quality vision of The Black Eyed Peas breaking the Guinness World Records is available from http://blackeyedpeas.dipdive.com/media/81737.
-dj