Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bramwell View Post
What were the slogan, spaceships or something?

Considering at the height, Ansett had three 747-300's they did extremely well to win best Business class award!
Yeah they were spaceships. Ansett won the awards not for the quantity but quality, just like most of their products. It is because of Ansett that Australia is so spoilt for service. Even today what Qantas offers domesticly is so much more than many carriers offer on short haul international.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

INH and INJ are now being parted and scrapped at Mojave. They are still in Ansett colours their are pictures on jetphotos.net of both.
Old 10th August 2008, 12:07 PM

I know about the models numbers, Ash ; I'm not that dumb and didn't want to complicate my reply to Zac.

My reply was from memory and cautious in tone as I didn't have time to check my references before heading out to dinner last night.
Old 11th August 2008, 09:15 AM

I really miss the days of flying with Ansett. They always gave me the best of service and it was always a pleasure to fly with them.

I recall at the time that Air NZ owned Ansett when it went under and they copped the blame for ruining the business but was that really the only factor which resulted in their demise?
Old 11th August 2008, 09:55 AM
Prolific Member

Short answer is no, but you're really opening up a can of worms here.
Perhaps you could start another thread on Ansett's demise and hope it doesn't degenerate!

Best of luck!
Old 11th August 2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
I really miss the days of flying with Ansett. They always gave me the best of service and it was always a pleasure to fly with them.

I recall at the time that Air NZ owned Ansett when it went under and they copped the blame for ruining the business but was that really the only factor which resulted in their demise?
There were alot of factors causing Ansett to go under [ironic as australia is caled downunder!] AirNZ was the most to blame.

If you wish to read more I suggest you read the creditors reports [6 of them] they will show you more than what is in the news.

Maybe Raymond Rowe [if he is still here] can answer some questions, but I suggest you digging deeper to find out the real truths [why was ANZ so quick to pay AN $150million to settle claims so they couldnt be chased anymore?
Old 11th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bramwell View Post
There were alot of factors causing Ansett to go under [ironic as australia is caled downunder!] AirNZ was the most to blame.

If you wish to read more I suggest you read the creditors reports [6 of them] they will show you more than what is in the news.

Maybe Raymond Rowe [if he is still here] can answer some questions, but I suggest you digging deeper to find out the real truths [why was ANZ so quick to pay AN $150million to settle claims so they couldnt be chased anymore?
IMO there were three key problems

1. Over staffed 2. Air NZ should never have been allowed to buy the other 50% of Ansett, they got into a bidding war with a highly cashed up Singapore Airlines and paid top dollar for the other 50% stake in Ansett, by doing this they subsequently bought something that was bigger than themselves. 3. Too many aircraft types.

Lets also remember Ansett were losing money way back in 1995, just refer to back issues of AA magazine.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:09 AM

Those were my thoughts at the time, Air NZ bought a company larger than itself which to me made little sense.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post

1. Over staffed 2. Air NZ should never have been allowed to buy the other 50% of Ansett, they got into a bidding war with a highly cashed up Singapore Airlines and paid top dollar for the other 50% stake in Ansett, by doing this they subsequently bought something that was bigger than themselves. 3. Too many aircraft types.

Lets also remember Ansett were losing money way back in 1995, just refer to back issues of AA magazine.
Without making this into a slanging match, if you look at the financials, you will see that AN were making a nice little profit later in 98/99 [or thereabouts] in the Business plan.

Just a year after AirNZ brought the other 50% it all went ****e? go figure
Old 11th August 2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post

I also agree with your three points