Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2009, 04:27 PM

Default I'm interested in joining up.

Scott, I'd like to sign up.
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up

Add me to the list too please.

Mark
Old 2nd November 2009, 06:16 PM

Thumbs up me too

Add me please
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:35 PM

count me in too mate
Old 5th November 2009, 06:19 PM

Default Any progress reports?

Seems like everyone is expressing interest, so is there any update as to what may or may not be happening with this idea?
To maintain interest perhaps progress reports or similar could be posted?
Old 8th November 2009, 06:50 PM

count me in too!
Old 9th November 2009, 11:25 AM

Default Airport Watch

It is thrilling to see such an overwhelming response to such a programme idea!

Reading from the first post, a specific blog for Airport Watch may be created yet. So I am not certain if this is where I can add my personal comments.

Such a programme as Airport Watch takes time to put into place especially when agencies and corporations are involved. I am not involved in Australia for the possible setting up of such a programme but if it is based on Airport Watch elsewhere, take a look at www.ottawaairportwatch.ca for more information. This is but one example of Airport Watch in other locations. A variation of this may happen yet in Australia and elsewhere. You can also go to "airport watch canada" on Google for the Toronto Airport Watch site. They have an extensive tour and activity site. I recall that they have 140 active volunteers just for the Toronto chapter. I have been involved in Airport Watch in North America for 10 years now so I thought that I could add a few thoughts here.

At this time, major airports in North America and Britain have Airport Watch in place. This is a win-win situation for all involved. Yes, that means spotters too! Currently in the UK there are programmes in place at London-Heathrow, London-Gatwick and others. In North America we have Montreal-Trudeau and Mirabel, Ottawa, Toronto-Pearson, Calgary, Minneapolis-St. Paul with Vancouver, Edmonton and Seattle-Tacoma in the works. An international association is in the works for the benefit of all programmes. Each Airport Watch chapter is set up to cater to each individual airport given each airport is unique. Flexibility is the way to go these days.

Reading through the blog here I noted that an Airport Watch type of programme began in Perth as far back as 1998! That is great news. It is impressive to see that such thinking began many years ago. In Canada, we go back only as far as 1999 where it began in Ottawa.

Continue to add your comments to this blog until told otherwise is my guess. Again, I am much impressed with the dedication to airport safety and I can add that there is no one better trained and equipped than genuine spotters to watch from the outside of our favorite hangouts!

Best regards and don't take your great spotting weather for granted! From one who watches in sub zero temps!

Jacques
Ottawa, ON Canada.
Old 12th November 2009, 07:48 PM

Sorry, but unless a Plane Spotters membership program is mainly designed to make it easier for the authorities to identify people regularly seen hanging around the perimeter of the airport (ie, spotters) I have several issues with the very concept.

For a start, I see no reason why anyone should pay a fee, no matter how small, just for the privilege of being an extra set of eyes and ears for the AFP, even if it is just to cover the administration costs of the program.

Sure, airport security is no joke, but if there are genuine risks, why not hire more security staff, pay them, and put plenty of extra signs around the airport perimeter fence with the AFP hotline number on it?

Will holding a spotter's membership card make you more 'vigilant' than you might already be? Does it help you in knowing how to (a) identify or (b) handle dangerous and/or deadly people and situations, or is that a job for suitably trained professionals?

Does paid membership come with some sort of training, no matter how basic, or at least some public information sessions on dealing with security risks and "suspicious behaviour", whatever that may be?

The natural enthusiasm spotters have for their pastime is understandable, but we do not want over-zealous spotters causing unnecessary false alarms or, worse, getting themselves into genuinely risky situations on their own.

Last edited by Robbie W; 12th November 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 17th November 2009, 02:58 PM

Default Airport Watch

Hi Guys,
New Member!

I was in Adelaide recently, perched at the fence of the old carpark. I had the AFP drive up next to me, lights ablaze, and questions galore. Real sour *****s too. Now, I certainly understand what they were concerned about, and if I were able to produce some sort of "Spotter's I.D", we all would have felt much better about it. As it was I was able to carry on, but...

Great Forum guys, pleasure to be here...

Cheers,
Neil.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:34 AM

Hey guys,

I'm just entering the world of plane spotting but I believe this is a great idea ! As an aircraft enthusiast I understand the importance of maintaining security around our airports. Every extra pair of eyes would increase the effectiveness of maintaining the security around our major airports.

I understand and encourage the use of an identification system with a thorough background check. It should be treated if you were an AFP employee as in a sense anyone can join, even the ones were are observing.

I see a small fee to ensure the credibility of members is not much of an ask.

Well that's my 2 cents and of course I would love to be a part of this !

Cheers,
Michael