Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st May 2009, 12:29 AM

Hi Noel,

How are the plans with MLAT for Sydney going?

Cheers
Gerard
Old 1st June 2009, 08:16 AM

Hello Gerard,

Not progressing well unfortunately. For MLAT to work the minimum of three "Ground Stations" are required but in Sydney only two permanent GS are feeding (cY & oW) with a third on an occasional basis. It's a case of "hold the phone" till some more GS come on board.

Noel White
Old 12th June 2009, 04:11 PM

Planeplotter users might find this TAAATS rendition of Sydney useful. It includes most waypoints and many VFR (SCG, Ryde Bridge, Long Reef etc).

It is based on screenshots of VATPAC TAAATS ATC sector files

Planeplotter overlays

This one planeplotter data overlaid just before the end of the curfew

Feel free to PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send them. Also have WA and Brissy.

Matt

Last edited by Matt D; 12th June 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 6th July 2009, 07:57 PM

This is more of a question for i think Ian and Noel and others with SBS and know the latest on ADS and all that. But i noticed for the first time a Qantas Dash-8 come up on my PP just about now. Looks like it was heading into Willie. Does this mean that Qantas are starting to install them into their older fleets now? It didn't come up with Qantas Link but VH-SBT instead.

Old 6th July 2009, 08:48 PM

Hi Gerard,

No, unfortunately VH-SBT is the only Dash-8 in all QF fleet that is ADSB and has been for while. Years ago, the first ADSB trial was conducted around Bundaberg and Dash-8's VH-SBT and VH-TNX plus a couple of RFDS King Air's where equipped with ADSB for the trial period.

VH-TNX has since left Australia but VH-SBT and the couple of RFDS King Air's are still in service and trackable on PP.

All new Boeing's and Airbus aircraft that come off the production line nowdays are already ADSB equipped as standard. None of the Virgin Embraers are ADSB equipped.

What is good news is that two of the older QF 737-800's, VH-VXP and VH-VXT, have recently become ADSB equipped, so hopefully this means QF are in a program of slowly equipping their fleet with ADSB.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:23 AM

Just to add (what might already be common knowledge to others), I found out recently that in Virgin Blue's fleet there are various B737s which seem to be lacking certain data tracking equipment.

For example VH-VBJ is one a/c which I cannot find much recent flight data on.
eg. http://www.libhomeradar.org/database...uicksearch.php
I have not seen this aircraft on PlanePlotter either.

Does this mean the aircraft in question is lacking ADSB?
Old 7th July 2009, 09:38 AM

Im looking at using this software, but have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. $25 euro and thats a full licence, Can i only use that on 1 pc? or both my laptop and pc

2. Once I get it, I get the maps from http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_maps_eu.html what do I do after this.

3. How do I find who is transmitting data, eg how do I connect to them?

4. Is the connection P2P or website based? just wondering if it will work at "work"

Thanks
Dale
Old 7th July 2009, 10:13 AM

Hello Dale,

The 25 euros is a once off licence fee that that will allow you, within reason, to install on a small number of PC's and/or laptops. It works on your e-mail address being the key factor.

The charts/maps can be downloaded as NASA satellite JPEGS images or you can make up your own charts as long as you can calibrate them with the correct lat & lon.

Each feeder has a sharer code which is in a database so you can see their location in relation to your position. Each a/c uploaded displays the sharer's code. The sharer uploads data to a server which you connect via the PlanePlotter program to download and refreshes very 60 secs. You only download the data that is displayed for whatever chart is open. So depending on whether you have the whole of Australia displayed or just a 25nm chart of your own location, that's all is downloaded.

Have a read thru this site - http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/

Cheers,

Noel
Sharer code oW

Noel White
Old 7th July 2009, 06:21 PM

Dale,

It's well worth getting. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to get an SBS1 and put it into the network so I really appreciate the sharing of data that Noel and others do.
Old 7th July 2009, 09:41 PM

G'day Dave,
The RFDS King Air that was equipped with ADS-B for the trial was VH-FDI. It was Bundaberg based at the time. I don't believe ADS-B is working anymore in FDI, however the newer B200's (FDA and FDT) are equipped with ADS-B. They were delivered in late 2007.

Mick