Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2010, 07:03 AM

I'm not looking to indulge in a slinging match nor come here with any airline defending agenda but I am just not seeing any facts coming from you on this subject Marty. Facts to substantiate your claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
I can assure you QF footed the difference for PR reasons and two quite clear PR reasons:

First the airframe is not a write off
As you say, the aircraft was not a write off and thus it was repaired therefore it must have been commercially viable to do so.

At the time of the accident, it was not an incident, the A380 was still experiencing delivery delays. In July 2008 when the accident happened the strength of the market was still sufficient to support the active QF fleet of the day. Furthermore, we can't talk retrospectively about possible market values of a Boeing 747-400 in 2008 vs mid 2009 (when ZK-NBS was disposed of) which was in the middle of the poorly named "Global Financial Crisis". The decision to repair may indeed have been more viable than losing an aircraft from the fleet that could not be replaced short term, as Owen H said in his post which he chose to remove.

The sale of ZK-NBS simply cannot be used as an indicator to determine the viability of the repair bill associated with VH-OJK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
people dont want to know they are flying on an aircraft that was involved in a major incident
Really? If this were even remotely true (which it isn't) why would Qantas have kept VH-OJH in their fleet for the last 9.5 years if it in any way had a negative impact on revenue passengers? And let's be factual, VH-OJH was involved in a major accident, not an incident. Plain and simple, >90% people who fly on the aircraft wouldn't have a solitary clue about it's chequered history. They just don't know..........and they can't care about what they don't know.

I'm happy to engage in robust, and constructive, dialogue but I'm going to need some seriously solid arguments to support the fact that the airline repaired both aircraft solely to "save face".
Old 28th January 2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Craig I have already stated in another post that I am now saying the OJH accident was not a save face as the aircraft at the time was around 9yrs old. and had a lot higher value, agree with you on that.

No slanging match at all but when you go defensive and call me Mr Hanley as if Im trying to hide who I am, I think its you who is out for a slanging match.
Old 28th January 2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I can assure you QF footed the difference
Marty, in order to make a statement like that, offering someone an "assurance" you would want to hope you were the bloke that brokered the deal on QF's behalf with the insurance company to repair the aircraft in order to make your offer of "assurance" even remotely valid.

Given the fact this wasn't the case.....

In reality, does it even matter why QF chose to repair the aircraft mentioned in this thread? Would it have mattered if they had been retired immediately after each incident/accident? The world would have kept turning, Qantas would have kept flying. I don't think anybody really cared why, until it became a sticking point for you.

For all we know, QF management could have tossed a coin or played for it over a round of golf (maybe even the same course in Bangkok!). At the end of the day the decision is of little or no consequence to anybody other than those who WANT to make it an issue.

Last edited by NickN; 28th January 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 8th August 2010, 05:18 PM

Here are some updated of the pics I took when I re-visited VCV on Tuesday.
OGC

OGD & OGA

OEC, OED & OJK in the middle

These are some of the pics I took in November last year. Sad to see OGD is still in the same spot.
http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....0&postcount=32

And for the three suprises: (the third is at the bottom of the last picture)

Old 8th August 2010, 05:31 PM

Have any of the Qantas aircraft been sold yet?
BOE: 717 (200), 737 (300,400,700,800), 747 (400), 767 (300), 777 (300), 787 (8,9)
DHC: DH3, DH4
EMB: E70, E90
FKR: F100
SWR: SW4
Old 8th August 2010, 05:36 PM

What's that VA 773 doing there in VCV?
Old 8th August 2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Gigacz View Post
Have any of the Qantas aircraft been sold yet?
My understanding that 2 of the 767's have been sold, or are about to be sold, to be converted as freighters.
Old 8th August 2010, 08:31 PM

There was a thread about the sale of three Qantas 767-300's about a month ago. http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=5541:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dale View Post
Quote:

"Air Transport Service Group Inc. said Monday it has committed to buy three Boeing 767-300 extended range jets from Qantas Airways Ltd, executing on a letter of intent announced in May.

The Wilmington, Ohio-based air transport services company said it expects to take delivery on the three GE-power jets, with a payload of 120,000 pounds, by this fall. ATSG didn't disclose the purchase price, but said similar 767-300 extended range freighters are valued from $28.5 to $31.5 million.

Joe Hete, ATSG president and CEO, said, "The purchase of these 767-300ERs extends our leading position in the medium wide-body freighter market, and gives us the means to transport greater cargo volumes over longer non-stop routes than our 767-200s can today."

The company said it will finance the purchase from its existing credit agreements."

Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...7s-from-Qantas
Has there been any further rumours about further aircraft leaving Qantas?

Last edited by Dave Dale; 8th August 2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarden S View Post
What's that VA 773 doing there in VCV?
IIRC That is where they get fitted out. Perhaps it is getting ready.
Old 4th February 2011, 07:39 PM

For those who maybe interested, VH-OEC, OED and OJK were re-advertised for sale on SpeedNews on 30/01/2011. I had read on another forum that they were slated for freighter conversion, but this may not be the case.

http://www.speednews.com/EquipmentRe...t&Aircraft=747

Dave