Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2009, 03:40 PM

Default Jetstar accused of compromising security

Quote:
A DECISION by Jetstar to outsource baggage handlers and check-in staff at three Australian airports will compromise security, a union claims.
The Transport Workers' Union (TWU) says any compromise of security is particularly concerning in light of the bashing death of a man at Sydney airport on Sunday in an alleged bikie gang brawl.

Jetstar announced this week new private contracts for ground staff in Launceston, Hobart and Sydney International – costing 18 jobs in Tasmania.

The positions were previously held by a combination of staff employed by Jetstar and the company's parent company Qantas.

TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon said 25 per cent of outsourced airport employees did not have ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) clearance, putting staff and passengers at risk.

”Quite clearly we've got a situation now where we've got companies like Qantas - they're going to add to security weaknesses at our airports just at a time when the flaws of the airport have been demonstrated only three days ago.”

Jetstar rejects the claim.

Spokesman Simon Westaway said anyone working back of house at an airport was required to have the highest ASIO clearance regardless of whether they were casual or a contractor employee.

”Any organisation that's operating air-side has to have people that are appropriately checked,” he said.
Old 26th March 2009, 03:51 PM

Half the articles I've read on this are saying that Qantas is outsourcing their baggage handlers TO Jetstar and the rest are saying that Jetstar is outsourcing their baggage handlers to an unnamed 'other' company. Whats the real story here??
Old 26th March 2009, 04:56 PM

Basically what i make of it is...

JETSTAR

SYD International was, JQ/QF => Now Aerocare (maybe baggage side only?? unsure)
HBA Domestic was JQ/QF => Now AirTrade
LST Domestic was QF => Now AirTrade

It is NO different to DJ & TT using Aerocare or Similar, its a cost cutting measure and its ridiculous for the media/unions to come up with this 'security' crap!

My Father is tangled in this as he is (was) a PSM @ HBA for JetStar

Last edited by Greg F; 26th March 2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 26th March 2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
What a load of typical union trash! Any person that works airside or must go airside at any time during their duties anywhere is Australia must have an ASIC...
Exactly right. Unions blowing 'hot air' once again
Old 26th March 2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Exactly right. Unions blowing 'hot air' once again
The unions haven't had anything to complain about since the engineers strike - they were missing the media attention.

Remember: don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Old 26th March 2009, 07:40 PM

You all bag the unions but you would not have the conditions today if it was not for them.
Old 26th March 2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
You all bag the unions but you would not have the conditions today if it was not for them.
Or a failed Ansett....
Old 27th March 2009, 07:30 PM

Raymond I think the unions have had their time in the sun. Apart from some small areas of industry which still seem to function effectively under union control the majority of unions are becoming increasingly redundant over time.

From personal experience having worked for TNT which was heavily union oriented, I found the union involvement there to be more of a bother than a help.

I understand your a union fan and I am not trying to start a who is right and who is wrong affair, just putting forward my individual view.

Everyone aiside had to meet the same criteria to be allowed to work there so the entity under which they are employed should make no difference.

All I can say is I hope this doesn't lead to any strike action which may affect the traveling public.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
Some of the crap they come out with makes you realy wonder. I mean to say linking the bikkie thing at Sydney with baggae handlers and check-in staff. I mean to say. Crap like this is what looses them credibility and when they do have something to have a real gripe over it is lost in the wash. Shooting themselves in the foot I reckon.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:09 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0330-9g3v.html

Well they followed through with thier "meeting" this morning and at the moment the airport is in meltdown.

There are aircraft everywhere right now. They are lined up on the taxiway for 34L to go to the gate - I think the Korean 747 and the China Eastern A330 have been there for an hour.........they haven't moved. I feel sorry for anyone travelling today.