Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2008, 07:44 PM

Default F-15 flypast

RAAF AND US OREGON AIR NATIONAL GUARD JETS CONDUCT OVERFLIGHT OF SYDNEY HARBOUR

WHAT: Two Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) F/A-18 Hornet aircraft from Number 2 Operational Conversion Unit (2OCU, based at Williamtown, near Newcastle), and three US Oregon Air National Guard (ANG) F-15C Eagle aircraft will be performing an overflight of Sydney Harbour.

On the way to and from Sydney, the aircraft will conduct training activities. While over Sydney, aircraft imagery will be taken.

WHERE: Two F/A-18 aircraft and three F-15C aircraft will enter Sydney Harbour near Watson’s Bay from the east, tracking along the Harbour at 1500 feet altitude, at speeds of approximately 700-750km/h. Between Watson’s Bay and the Harbour Bridge the formation will fly at 1000 feet over water.

Upon reaching the Harbour Bridge, aircraft will climb to 3000 feet and change formation to one F/A-18 Hornet and three F-15C Eagles; with the second F/A-18 Hornet acting as photographic aircraft. The aircraft will then execute a 180-degree clockwise turn at Huntley’s Point, overflying Riverview and Northwood. Once east of the Harbour Bridge, the aircraft will descend back to 1000 feet and track east through the heads before proceeding on the coastal route back to RAAF Williamtown.

WHEN: Friday, 29 August, 2008 at approximately 2.15pm to 2.35pm.

WHO: Commanding Officer 2OCU, Wing Commander Philip Gordon, will be available for interview.

US Oregon Air National Guard Units are currently based at RAAF Williamtown to support Number 30 Fighter Combat Instructor’s (30 FCI) course which commenced 30 June this year.

30 FCI course represents important training for experienced aircrew; providing participating Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18 and F-111 pilots and Air Combat Officers with the highest possible level of fighter combat skills.

The involvement of US Air National Guard Units delivers vital opportunities for RAAF to train with and against foreign military aircraft.

From Defence Media
Old 29th August 2008, 07:38 AM

Default Any spotters

If anyone wants a good vantage point for the 180 degree turn at the western end of this exercise, you're welcome to visit my jetty - just send me a PM.
Old 29th August 2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
If anyone wants a good vantage point for the 180 degree turn at the western end of this exercise, you're welcome to visit my jetty - just send me a PM.
Thanks for the offer but it might be a bit backlit out your way. I'm going to try Cremorne Point I think.
Old 29th August 2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.B View Post
WHEN: Friday, 29 August, 2008 at approximately 2.15pm to 2.35pm.
From Defence Media

Have they never heard of the term 'weekend' ?

Same damn issue when they had the B707 flyover...

I hope you get greats pics which you can share with us Andrew and others who'll be out there.

Let's just hope this time the public gets a bit of a heads-up on this show, because lot of people wet their pants when the RAAF staged the 707 flyby over the Harbour a few months back.
Old 29th August 2008, 02:05 PM

Ah this is why the F-16's are currently in PDX...... All makes sense now.
They need some playmates while they're friends are out of town
Old 29th August 2008, 03:36 PM

Hi Shameel

The official Press Releases usually ask the media outlets to inform the public of the forthcoming flypast, parade or whatever. If the media chooses not to do so then then the general public misses out, not that many would give a toss anyway these days.

If we get to see footage in Perth (which I doubt) I expect to see interviews with some citizens who were unaware of the event and startled by the aircraft and noise - oh no not September 11 again (I'm being very cynical).

Attitudes today are far different to those of 30 years ago when I remember the F15 demonstrator flying over Melbourne and in 1974 or 75, a RAAF F111C belting over Melbourne trying to break some sort of record I think. And who remembers the "Thunderbirds" flypast over Sydney in about 1986 ?

Times sure have changed.
Old 29th August 2008, 04:31 PM

I was coming back from Brisbane today on DJ216 and the pilot announced to us to look out the left side as there were fighters in formation. This was as we approached Sydney from the north west as . Nice of him to let us know.
Old 29th August 2008, 04:50 PM

I heard one of the Sydney controllers let the pilots on a Jetstar flight know, if interested, to look out whichever side, to see the fighters in formation.
Old 29th August 2008, 05:22 PM

Did the flypast actually happen? I was at Neilsen Park 2pm to 2:45 and saw and heard ziltch, mind you there was a fair bit it of cloud about
Old 29th August 2008, 05:41 PM

Yes the flypast occured at about 3.15pm, so it was running quite late.