Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2010, 08:34 PM

A must say though that it brought a wicked smile to my face and a sense of satisfaction when i watched the pilots bounce the Concorde a on landing a couple of times. Makes some of my landings pretty good all of a sudden
Old 19th August 2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Agatsiotis View Post
Cheers Jethro
Those early days of filming would have been interesting. As stated earlier I did see G-BSST at Farnborough 1970 - awseome flying demo.
It has been 20 years since I have seen this cameraman, whilst the majority of his work was filming from the ground, he rocked up to work one day and they told him that they were 'going-out-for-lunch', thinking the bosses were taking him to some restaurant near the airport at Fairford,,,, well it was a restaurant, near the airport... Jan ****s Airport at Johannesburg via Concorde on a test run. (I think he said it was G-BSST whic was one of the prototypes)

Later years when it was operational, he stated that BBC Cameraman were often given a seat if they had an "urgent" job in the USA. He flew about a dozen times to get to jobs over there, but often return flight was back on a 747

It is still sad there is nothing to replace them.
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:55 PM

Thanks to Noel White who gave me a copy of the doco which I have just finished watching. Very interesting and still a few questions that need answering.

I have scanned some photos of G-BOAC at Manchester; quality not the best as they are prints made on an old printer which don't copy very well.

This is the plate on the engine I mentioned in a previous post plus nose and tail sections (Very overcast day back in May'05)

Last edited by Peter Agatsiotis; 20th October 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 24th August 2010, 08:43 AM

Smile

A little off the topic of the tv show but my best viewing experience of Concorde is seeing it at Filton UK. I recall as a youngster, standing on my great aunts draining board looking across the way to see BA Concordes arriving and departing. My more recent viewing of the beautiful aircraft was at Seattle, New York and Filton once more. The filton experience was by far the best with an up close inside and out viewing of the beautifully kept "alpha foxtrot".

Awesome stuff.

Last edited by james baker; 24th August 2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 24th August 2010, 05:18 PM

Small world James, I used to attend Monks Park secondary (1963-1964) but before Concorde's time. Mostly Super VC10's on touch and go's.