Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2010, 06:54 PM

Default Concorde Doco last night

Just wondering if anyone else watched the documentary last night about the trials and tribulations of Concorde on Ch 7 at 9.30pm.

I watched the whole thing, and I must say that I found it quite interesting.

One thing that really touched me was how emotional some of the former Concorde pilots (i think all of them but one were Captains) got recounting their experience with the amazing bird.

Also, I was rather surprised to find out that Sydney gave the Concorde a "bad reception" when it first came out here on its round-the-world promotional flights prior to beginning operation with airlines.

I know it might be pretty noisy and expensive to ride on, but I wonder what the general reaction of the public would be if it were ever to return to the skies.

Of course as they mentioned in the show, its cost to operate in addition to the near impossible chance that it will ever pass the safety certification, I doubt there is much hope other than museums.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:02 PM

Damn!! missed it.

Beautiful aircraft and my travels around the world have 14 logged including the 2 prototypes G-BSST at Farnborough 1970 and F-WTSS at Orly 2008.

Got up really close to G-BOAC which is parked at the Manchester Airport viewing area.

Pretty sure that G-BSST visited Sydney in 1972 as I was still living at my parents place after arriving in Oz in April that year.

G-BOAE visited Sydney in 1985 and for those of you who remember, it was parked at the Jet Base and Qantas Drive and a few other roads were all jam packed with cars (to hell with the signs!).

From memory we had about 5 or 6 visits from the BA/AF fleet.

Very popular with the general public but I think the sad crash out of CD Gaulle would have put people off of actually flying on one.

Now we have to wait for Virgin Galatlic in a few years time.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:29 PM

I have it on TiVo, which I can move to my PC and then make a permanent copy for view on any DVD player...

IF you know what I mean...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 15th August 2010, 02:08 PM

Found some photos I took of G-BOAC at Manchester and the close up of this plate on the engine says it all (sorry can't get to the dig image on an old pc):

'Engineered to be the best

CONCORDE

flew above the rest'
Old 15th August 2010, 04:24 PM

Absolutely gold

By the way, the show was called "The Rise and Fall of Concorde".

I can't find any links to view it online.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks Russell

I will check yahoo/Ch7 later or might have to take up the 'hint/offer' from Bernie.
Old 15th August 2010, 07:25 PM

If you ever happen to be hanging around Frankfurt in Germany and have half a day to kill I can highly recommend the Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim. They've got Concorde F-BVFB mounted on poles on the roof of one of the exhibition halls alongside a TU-144, both are open to walk through. The cabin is intact but they have removed a large number of the seats to provide open space and put up exhibit info boards but they have preserved every few rows behind perspex. The cockpit is also behind perspex. Still, well worth the experience if you're in that neck of the woods and there's a hell of a lot more at the museum that makes the whole experience even better. I went on a particularly nasty, drizzly day but managed to snap a few photos
Old 15th August 2010, 07:54 PM

Nice photos Michael; I was in Frankfurt in May'05 but too busy writing reg's for 3 days. Took the midnight train to Dusseldorf.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:26 AM

If you can get a copy of "Rise and Fall of the Concorde" than do so. It was an enjoyable doco.

In the early 1980s I trained as a cinephotographer with a retired BBC cameraman who worked on filming the early days and testing of Concorde. What he tells me is pretty much on the money in this doco.
Old 17th August 2010, 06:26 PM

Cheers Jethro

Luckily a friend of mine has made a DVD for me.

Those early days of filming would have been interesting. As stated earlier I did see G-BSST at Farnborough 1970 - awseome flying demo.