Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th June 2008, 08:37 PM

I recall reading that some (perhaps all) the KC-30B would be configured with a number of "business" class seats and the remainder "economy" class seating.
This raises a couple of questions,
1/ If the requirement is there it makes for an easy decision to add to the KC-30B fleet, suiting both the ADF airlift folks and the politicos
2/ If the political situation dictates it allows the pollies to fly in a nice new widebody without actually buying one... just use a KC-30B(and degrade the ADF airlift capability) but claim the moral high ground by using "existing resources"

Cheers
Old 10th August 2008, 04:04 PM

great pics.
are there any more.
or any for the 604?
Old 10th August 2008, 04:22 PM

I'm quietly having a laugh at the people with NFI how an airliner is maintained are complaining about the QF 747-300's.
They aren't cars, where they older they get the more tired they get - every part has a life to it, and when it gets to its expiry date it's replaced.
A well-maintained airliner should be very nearly as reliable as a new one, and indeed since they are guaranteed to perform to near-new standars throughout their entire life this means they should be maintained to that standard.
I've flown an ex-JAL 747-146 with 115,000 hours on it and it was one of the best 747's I've ever been on. All the gear was still working well and it felt nice & tight. I've also flown 80,000 hour 747-236's with lower maintenance standards (They let things slide to the limit, etc) and they have been quite unreliable. One of the problems these 747's had was that they had little time on the ground for all the work to be done, so things just didn't get done as well as what they should have. Also the maintenance crew didn't have the extensive background that they really should have to look after the planes.

So anyway, all this talk of the 'old -300's being unreliable' is uninformed dross sorry. Look after them and they will be very nearly as good as a new airliner.
Old 11th August 2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
So anyway, all this talk of the 'old -300's being unreliable' is uninformed dross sorry.
The current Qantas 743's ARE unreliable, end of story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Look after them and they will be very nearly as good as a new airliner.
Yes, but they are not being looked after, hence the unreliable part
Old 11th August 2008, 09:03 AM

Andrew,

Bill was saying that IF they ARE looked after, they should perform as reliably and as well as a new aircraft, obviously he was eluding to the fact that these Qantas jets are not by saying they never spend long enough on the ground to have the work carried out as well as it should be.
Old 11th August 2008, 03:04 PM

I should hope so if the Bill S that posted is the Bill S I am thinking of.

I am sure he knows me in that area