Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th June 2008, 05:34 PM

inflation is a more or less self fulfilling prophecy. i think the engineers have made their point, maybe they should just move on from this?
Old 20th June 2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
ok...now there is a pretty simplistic and stupid suggestion, if the majority aren't happy with their conditions and they do decide to move on can you imagine the chaos it will cause for the company? I think you'll find they choose to stay because they are loyal and its the only job most of them know.
Really? If they wanted to move on, I'm sure theres plenty of places engineers are needed, seeing there's such a shortage of skilled labour in Australia, in fact I see advertisments all the time for positions at fairly large QLD based aviation maintenence companies.

Quote:
food alone was up nearly 6% for the March quarter 2007 to the March quarter 2008 and fuel was up nearly 7% for the same period...for the period from March 07 to March 08 the CPI rose 4.2%...that's pretty significant in anyone's language....although its not that bad if your on $7 million a year.
And is there some particular reason the LAMEs at QF are feeling this pressure any more than the rest of us working joes? Imagine if we all started carrying on like them in every industry! It wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.
Old 20th June 2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
Really? If they wanted to move on, I'm sure theres plenty of places engineers are needed, seeing there's such a shortage of skilled labour in Australia, in fact I see advertisments all the time for positions at fairly large QLD based aviation maintenence companies.

And is there some particular reason the LAMEs at QF are feeling this pressure any more than the rest of us working joes? Imagine if we all started carrying on like them in every industry! It wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.
Lets be honest here QF if their costs increase or any other business for that matter can raise their prices, workers cannot raise their prices at any given time, prices in the last 6-12mths of everything has gone through the roof, if as Australians we are being charged a premium price then the wage increase's need to match, whos fault is it that we are paying premium prices for everything? Who's fault is it petrol is double taxed in this country? Who's fault is it there is no water in the country? Certainly anit my fault, but I just have to shut up and pay for it all
Old 20th June 2008, 08:13 PM

If you wanted to go from a 75K + salary to go and work in QLD for a mere 45k go ahead, thats why they advertise. Most of it is GA work to, and you dont go backwards like that.
Old 20th June 2008, 09:28 PM

Well it is clear they are on a stealth stirke ie refusing to work overtime as per following

Quote:
* OVERTIME BANS AFFECTING MAINTENANCE ON QANTAS AIRCRAFT: The current work-to-rule industrial action being taken by Qantas engineers is leading to more aircraft being dispatched with “allowable defects”, according to the Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers of Australia (ALAEA).
ALAEA federal secretary Steve Purvinas told ABC radio on June 9 that on average there were 750 allowable defects across the Qantas fleet which allowed the aircraft to fly for a certain period of time before being rectified. But over the prior three weeks with the overtime bans in place, this had risen to over 1800.
"If they don't have enough engineers to repair those defects that are reaching their final days ... well then they will have problems and have to remove some aircraft out of service I dare say," he told ABC Radio.
ALAEA and Qantas have reached a stalemate in pay negotiations which have stretched on since last year, with the carrier refusing to up its offer of a three per cent pay rise with an extra one per cent in superannuation. ALAEA has not ruled out further industrial action on top of its overtime ban, but has not yet advised of any more strike action.
Source: Australian Aviation Express: Issue 226
Old 21st June 2008, 01:55 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
Imagine if we all started carrying on like them in every industry!
If we all demanded 5% rises to cover 'the cost of living' then inflation would spiral out of control and the unions would again be demanding more pay rises to compensate. Where do they stop?

And they say inflation is creeping up now...
Old 21st June 2008, 06:26 AM

Just an update on my situation. After a few long phone calls to Qantas they put me on QF11, so I am currently in LAX waiting for my connecting flight to SFO.

Thank you to the Qantas reservation agents for helping out!
Old 17th July 2008, 03:05 PM

Whats with the delays going on. Is it maintenance still working on a go slow ban, as it is bordering on ridiculus and becoming a farce.

Just today I think you could say most of the Qantas OPERATED flights left not on time today.
QF167 delayed 30 minutes
QF45 delayed 20 minutes
QF129 delayed 35 minutes
QF 63 (so far delayed 6 hours - 1000 to 1630)
QF 149 delayed 1 hour 10 minutes.
QF107 delayed 3 hours 20 minutes
QF127 delayed 2 hours 15 minutes
QF11 (so far delayed 6 hours 40 minutes - from 1320 to 2000)
QF5 (so far delayed 1 hours 5 minutes - from 1555 to 1700)
QF31 (so far delayed 5 hours 5 minutes - from 1655 to 2200)
QF1 (so fare delayed 5 hours - from 1700 to 2200)

Last edited by Malcolm Parker; 17th July 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: further updating of post
Old 17th July 2008, 03:45 PM

They are not on a go slow they simply are not working overtime. As inconvenient as this is I believe it is the fault of QF management by letting the workforce be reduced to the point where it cant function without overtime being relied upon.

None of us enjoy trying to sort out the mess that this is causing let alone what pax must think.
Old 17th July 2008, 04:06 PM

I agree that if everyone demanded pay rises like this then inflation would continue its upward climb. There is a point that is reached when people have to accept the fact that if you keep asking for more money to offset inflationary pressures then all you are doing is fuelling inflation.

Quite simply engineers are paid well above what is considered the national average pay packet and there are others out there who work the same, if not more hours for less money. Their jobs may not involve the same degree of difficulty or training but they still earn far less.

Sometimes you have to appreciate what you get and be thankful for it. The only times I see things get nasty like this is when unionised industries are involved. The nurses got a payrise, the firies got a payrise, we have a union lets grab some cash too. Thats the mentality.

Look at those grubs at the Rail Union who wanted to strike Today to punish the public over their pay negotiations.