Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2011, 04:00 PM

Default QF A380 departing LAX

When I was in LA i noticed that the A380 would depart on 24L (3,135m), while all the other QF flights would depart on 25R (3,685m), regardless of whether the gate was closer to 24L. When I departed on QF108 we were on the north side of TBIT and had to taxi all the way to the western end of the field, cross over to the south side, and then taxi up to 25R. Needless to say, we taxied for about 20mins.

My question is this; why does the A380, which is presumably a heavier aircraft, use the shorter runway? Does is have to do with the reduced thrust takeoffs of the A380, and the higher thrust setting getting off a shorter runway outweighing the fuel burn of a longer taxi?
Old 11th March 2011, 08:45 PM

I believe that it has to do with the chaos it causes when it taxis at LAX. So the less taxiing it has to do the less it upsets the locals.
It does however have to use full or close to full grunt to get it off the deck on the short runway.

Fred
Old 11th March 2011, 09:06 PM

Wait until SQ, KE, OZ, AF start flying there A380's there! LAX better lift it's game if it wants to see these size aircraft there!

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 12th March 2011, 07:27 PM

I think you will find if the aircraft can depart off 24L most will request it! (Shorter taxi)

However most Boeing's (B777/B747) that are at MTOW will require 25R.

I'm not up to speed on A380 take off performance but it might be able to depart 24L at Max Wt? Or with full load and fuel for SY/ML.
Old 13th March 2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilkes View Post
LAX better lift it's game if it wants to see these size aircraft there!
I believe they are trying with the expansion of the TBIT. I had a look earlier at what it will look like at the completion of the pier.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedimages/L...resolution.jpg

It looks interesting with the large car bridge it looks like crossing over the taxiway. They will link the east and west edges of the airport with that bridge. Should be a big improvement.
Old 13th March 2011, 09:18 PM

Wow. Are they demolishing any of the old hangers (AA I think) to expand the terminal to the west? Would a tunnel be less expensive? Fancy standing over the bridge as a large jet is taxiing underneath.

Also, if you think the taxi time to the 25 runways from TBIT takes a long time try flyng on V Australia or Air NZ who operate from one of the northern terminals, 2 I think. That takes an eternity.