Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2009, 04:47 PM

Default Photos at Night

I was out with the new baby today and i was making an attempt to take some "artistic" shots.

I'm looking to get some evening and night shots of it with the lights on etc. but how is the best way to take it? would a standard 5mp camera do the job?

If not, can anyone recommend anyone?

Andrew
still cuddling my new baby
Old 29th March 2009, 06:45 PM

I'm not an expert photographer, just a keen amateur. For evening shots, particularly if you wanted all your nav lights illuminated would require a long exposure. Providing your camera can do this you'll need a tripod or a stable surface to keep the camera still. For a night shot you'd need to illuminate the aircraft (maybe the strobes would be enough?) or all you will get is the lights & not much else. I'm sure others would know more than me on the art of photography at night because I so rarely do it myself but hope it's a start.

PS - Nice kite in the other thread
Old 29th March 2009, 09:57 PM

Adam has pretty much got it. A long exposure with a stable tripod will do you good. Aircraft that are still are better to get than moving ones at night because its way easier and looks way better. If your camera has it, use the time delay (10seconds or whatever) so when you press the shutter button the camera is not moving at all. Try keeping your ISO as low as possible and extend the exposure if you can with stopped aircraft. Also another tip is try not to zoom in too much as far away targets get blurry with lens movement and if your shooting something rare, take alot as you will find alot will be either too dark, light or blurry! All the best.