Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th December 2009, 11:35 AM

Default Spotting locations at YSSY and camera lenses

Hi all

It has been quite a while since I've spent time along the fence at YSSY, and while I'm back in Sydney, am hoping to get back into it and get back into photographing some heavy metal. I'm hoping if I could get some advice about the two items in my subject.

Are there any particularly good locations to photograph traffic taking off, relative to the runway they're assigned on. I've tried finding the page listings of these locations through a Google search, but have been unsuccessful.

Also, I'm looking to get a zoom lens for my Canon 400D. I've survived the past two years with just a kit 18-55mm lens but looking to get either just a cheapy 75-300mm zoom lens (Which I've seen for $100), or a much fancier Sigma 18-210mm lens, which would suit me for other photographic applications of mine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. And may I wish you all a Merry Christmas

Cheers
Maikha
Old 25th December 2009, 11:41 AM

Upon posting my last message, managed to find the link for spotting locations on http://www.16right.com/
Old 26th December 2009, 08:17 AM

Hi Gents

Chris_d, certainly am. I've always been here (The forums that is, not Sydney), and I'm certain a few of you are 'over there

Thanks for the advice nonetheless, my search for a lens has been aided by a voucher I got for Xmas, and Boxing Day sales today.

Wish me luck I don't get trampled over today
Old 27th December 2009, 04:09 PM

Hi all

Got a 300mm lens yesterday at a sale, ended up getting the 75-300mm kit lens for my 400D, as I'm not overly particular about details and how photos turn out. Did a test run of it today with some satisfaction, but have yet to try it out on aircraft.

In continuing my re-introduction to spotting out at YSSY, are there any better days to do so that would get either the most traffic or the most interesting traffic? Since my last time out there was in Australia Day last year, I was hoping I'd be able to see some planes I saw last time:

*UPS and FedEx Freight planes (MD-11's?)
*DHL 727
*Norfolk Island 737
*Any other freighters during daylight?
*Virgin Blue's Embraers

And unlike 2007, I'm hoping to get a few A380s as well, irrespective of airline.

Thanks for any advice given!

Cheers
Maikha
Old 27th December 2009, 09:47 PM

Around 4pm, you'll get

Singapore A380
Qantas 747's a couple
Qantas A380
Singapore 777
Emirates 777
UPS MD-11

With the Emirates usually coming last, around 6.

as pretty much everyday. Then on some days you'll have some things like the PNG 757, Norfolk/Our Airline 737, VA 777, Hawaiian 767, NZ A320's a couple. Virgin A340, Etihad etc all possible.

That's along with the usual Qantas and Virgin stuff.

They close at 7 IIRC but all the heavies are gone by then, as is most of the light.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks Roland, much appreciated!

What would you be referring to as PNG 757? The rest I understood... would this be the Air Niugini 757 that gets seen from time to time?

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 27th December 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:22 PM

The Air Niugini B757 that arrives in Sydney twice a week. Arrived at 6.30 or so this afternoon, but being summer theres still quite a lot of light around for a good shot, even on a overcast day like today.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:27 PM

Awesome!

Just looking up the Air Niugini schedule on their website, and they have the 757 coming and going to Sydney on the following days and times:

Sunday - Arr 1855 (Or 1830 as you had it today)
Monday - Dep 1045
Friday - Arr 1855
Saturday - Dep 0945

Safe to bet on the above times?
Old 28th December 2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland D View Post
Then on some days you'll have some things like the PNG 757, Norfolk/Our Airline 737, VA 777, Hawaiian 767, NZ A320's a couple. Virgin A340, Etihad etc all possible.
All of this stuff except for PNG and Norfolk come in everyday. So you will be fine to see these.