Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2014, 07:19 AM

Default British spotter 1st time in Sydney advice please

Hi guys I am British spotter and will be visiting Sydney for a couple of weeks in April 2016. Itss while away but I am looking for some general advice for planning purposes as its my first time in Aus. I am happy with there being plenty of info about SYD but its the small fields I am interested in.
What is the general attitude to airside access at Bankstown and Camden? I will be photographing everything and would love some airside access, will also take numbers.
Also planning trips to Richmond, and a few days at Williamstown and then down to Nowra. Not totally spotting as I will have the Mrs with me.Again what the the RAAF/RAN attitude to spotting from the fence? Any out of the way places that I have not noticed on google earth?
My main interests are classic 30-50's aircraft Daks, Tiger Moths, old Cessnas and Pipers etc. Then airliners, bizjets, military and other GA.

thanks

Rob

www.farnboroughspotters.com
Old 31st October 2014, 12:47 PM
Prolific Member

Rob,

You might want to add Canberra with the Australian War Memorial to your list.

They have Treloar Annex which has many a/c stored incl. C-47, Meteor....
Old 31st October 2014, 03:11 PM
Prolific Member

Temora and HARS at Wollongong are other worthwhile ventures too.
Old 31st October 2014, 04:22 PM
Prolific Member

Should there be a permanent thread (sticky) for this type of info.

ie: Aviation Sites around Sydney & NSW
Old 31st October 2014, 04:48 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Rob, If your are after specific aircraft, the ACARS and ADS-B sections of www.16Right.com might be helpful for Airline and Aircraft movements at Sydney. There is also some Sydney spotting locations information.
Old 31st October 2014, 07:34 PM

When you are up in Newcastle at Williamtown (no s), be sure to visit fighter world. Lots of good stuff to see in there.

http://www.fighterworld.com.au

If you are into Tiger Moths and are in the Newcastle area, a visit to Luskintyre would be a great idea, especially on the first Saturday of each month when they hold a 'lunch with the Tigers' event.

http://luskintyreairfield.com.au

Let me know if you need anymore info

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 1st November 2014, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, Luskintyre looks like a place I have to go to. Basically my wife's best friend moved to Sydney 2 years ago after a divorce and has met a Australian millionaire (no me doesn't have a sister LOL!) and they are getting married up at Palm beach. We will be staying in their massive house in Gordon.
It would fit in that after the wedding we go to Luskintyre on the Sunday and Williamstown on the Monday. Then the week after go do to Nowra via Wollongong. Will have the wife with me on these trips but as long as we find a decent hotel with pool I should be ok! I will fit in Bankstown,SYD etc when the Mrs is doing wedding stuff.
Further info on Camden and Bankstown would be appreciated. Im am guessing Camden Would be a bit more accessible than Bankstown?

thanks

Rob
Old 1st November 2014, 01:49 PM
Prolific Member

Rob

This might help

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/B...34.0542181!3e0

Also if you are going to Nowra you cut across Kangaroo Valley to Canberra. The War Memorial is well worth a look.

Also on you way Luskintyre (in the Hunter Valley wine fields - may interest the wife) stop off the Rutherford. Just north of Maitland which has a large number of Tiger Moths based.