Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th April 2009, 02:21 PM

Default Heading off to Perth

Hi all,
I'm planning on going to Perth in late June returning early July. Just wondering if there is any difference between Virgin and Qantas and what aircraft are used.

Regards,
Warren.
Old 8th April 2009, 02:48 PM

QF use A330/767/738, depending on time of day.

DJ use 737/738, except from Adelaide where it is E190.

Old 8th April 2009, 03:57 PM

DJ will give you Live2Air, but QF will only give you whatever is on the mainscreen, unless you score one of the increasingly rare International aircraft.

Arguably, you have your choice of food on DJ, rather than being stuck with QF's meal of the day.

That said, i've never used DJ, only QF.
Old 8th April 2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up.
I know that mobile phones are to be turned off, but can you use Ipods and or Nintendo DS etc. I have an Ipod touch with a few movies and plenty of music on it.

Regards,
Warren.
Old 8th April 2009, 04:25 PM

You can use non-transmitting electronic devices once the seat belt sign goes off (or when they tell you its okay to use).
Old 8th April 2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren P. View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
I know that mobile phones are to be turned off, but can you use Ipods and or Nintendo DS etc. I have an Ipod touch with a few movies and plenty of music on it.
Yep. Just turn off your WiFi. (If nothing else, it'll improve your battery life)

I love my iPod Touch on flights... It's a great screen to watch and is much easier to deal with in Y than a laptop.
Old 8th April 2009, 05:40 PM

You can use your mobile phone inflight aslong as its in flight mode or offline mode depending on what your brand calls it.
Old 8th April 2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

I love my iPod Touch on flights... It's a great screen to watch and is much easier to deal with in Y than a laptop.
I bet its not as awesome as my 10" laptop...6-7 hours battery life (I have an ipod classic but i rarely listen to it...I like to listen to the in flight music channels for some variety!)
Old 10th April 2009, 01:02 PM

Warren,

As other mentioned, QF uses a variety of a/c (the B763/B73H/A332/A333) on the SYD-PER route while DJ mainly uses the B73H and B73W.

With QF, you get complimentary meals on all flights and alcoholic berverages on services after 12pm. You might also get a small refreshment (a cake/muffin/nut bar) before arrival on services to PER (depending on the time of the day).

Personally, I would take QF as I would prefer to spend 4hrs+ on a widebody jet (B763/A333/A332) rather than getting stuck in a B73H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb
DJ will give you Live2Air, but QF will only give you whatever is on the mainscreen, unless you score one of the increasingly rare International aircraft.
Actually, QF regularly uses the A333 and international A332 (with Skybed and AVOD in economy) on SYD-PER services. Looking at a/c patterns and online timetables, QF 577 from SYD which turnsaround to operate QF 566 back to SYD regularly sees A333 and international A332 (99% of the time).

Apart from that, you next safest bet would be QF565 and QF581 ex SYD which is operated by A333 and intenational A332 on random days of the week.

None
Old 11th April 2009, 06:35 AM

As well as above, you may want to consider the price as well