Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th April 2009, 09:59 PM

Default Access to the 'Beach' at YSSY

RTA signs say the "Kyeemagh Ave Loop Rd will be closed from 20 April"
Seeing as this is how I get to/from work, and how you guys get to the beach carpark, I went looking at the RTA website and can't find any info.

Anyone know more?

And does that mean they'll make the hook turn at the Port Rd legal as it'll be the only way to get back to my work from the south without going through Mascot....

Last edited by Mark D; 11th April 2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: new thought...
Old 11th April 2009, 11:14 PM
Prolific Member

G'day Mark,

I understand the affected area is the Cooks River bridge area and around to the old airport staff car park for an unknown duration. You could turn down Foreshore Drive and turn up the Gate 16 road and do a U turn there. It would save doing an illegal hook turn at those same set of lights.

Cheers
Nigel
Old 12th April 2009, 08:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I understand the affected area is the Cooks River bridge area and around to the old airport staff car park for an unknown duration.
Thanks Nigel, that's about what I expected, with the works associated with the Endeavour Bridge. Would have been nice if the RTA actually had info on their website as the warning signs are up already. There may be info at work, I'm on holidays so might have missed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
You could turn down Foreshore Drive and turn up the Gate 16 road and do a U turn there. It would save doing an illegal hook turn at those same set of lights.
Normally that won't be my problem, I'll be doing the reverse, having to come out on to GHD southbound and then do a block somewhere to go north.

I hope it's not closed too long!

Regards
Old 12th April 2009, 09:18 AM

We received a notice about the roadworks at work. I think they said it would be closed for one week followed by another week of only one lane being available. I will double check on Tuesday.
Old 12th April 2009, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Joseph, that's not too bad then.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:44 PM
Prolific Member

Joseph, do the works have anything to do with your project?
Old 12th April 2009, 03:15 PM

The works have nothing to do with us, but they will effect access between our compound on Kyeemagh Ave and the RESA site, which you enter through the old staff carpark. It is going to be a massive annoyance.

Baulderstone, not the RTA, are the ones who actually informed us of the roadworks.
Old 12th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Prolific Member

Obviously the RTA are enjoying their Easter break....
Old 14th April 2009, 09:41 AM

Oops, I got the details wrong. It is worse than I thought.

It will be closed for two weeks followed by another 3 weeks on single lane operation.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:42 PM

Speedy - from work:
Quote:
The RTA will commence maintenance work on Endeavour Bridge located under General Holmes Drive on the Sydney Airport side.
This $3.8 million project is funded by the NSW Government.
The work will involve blast cleaning, patching and painting the bridge’s external and internal girders, crossbeams and piers.
Work is scheduled to commence on Monday 20 April 2009 and is expected to take approximately 5 weeks to complete, weather permitting.
There will be a full road closure on Kyeemagh Avenue under the Endeavour Bridge for 2 weeks. During this time work will be conducted on a 24 hour roster.
Then one lane of Kyeemagh Avenue will be re-opened for 3 weeks until the work is completed. The majority of this work will be carried out between 6am and 11pm Monday to Sunday. Some work may be required outside these hours.
There were also some pictures showing the diversion routes. From the south, it's via Foreshore and a u-turn at Ulm (Gate 15). From the north, it's via Bestic and a u-turn at Francis (roundabout).

During the full closure, access to the beach carpark will not be available by car, but it appears that pedestrian/bicycle access is still OK.