Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2009, 11:47 PM
Prolific Member

Perhaps it was seen as just a slip of the tongue?

Let's face it, I make mistakes quite often and am happy to be corrected by those who may know more about a topic than I do...it's part of the learning process when it comes to aviation.

That's the beauty of forums like this...there's usually someone else out there who has a better understanding on a particular topic than you do, hence you can learn something nearly every day!
Old 17th May 2009, 08:52 AM

Fair enough Nigel.

This wasn't an attack on you- we all know you have a good knowledge of airside activity at Syd amongst other things.
I just think sometimes members who ask questions or may say something wrong for lack of knowledge are unfairly treated.

Back onto topic but and hopefully members just take this onboard

Cheers
Old 17th May 2009, 09:57 AM

I agree that sometimes posts here go a little bit wayward, and sometimes yes, people do show a lot of arrogance, and it is one of my pet hates. This is a board for people of all experience levels and ages.

I must admit, however, I can't really see on this particular thread where that has happened.

The only posts that I can see that goes close are the comment about there being no NDB, only VOR and the comment about the ARP, and the fact that Starboard is RIGHT, not left as put in by the original poster. If a poster uses technical language in their post, surely they can expect to be corrected if it is not used correctly?

The original poster didn't say that there was a 777 flying over the airport, and turning left... he said that there was a 777 flying over the SYD NDB, and turning Starboard, which is using specific technical language. Surely it is reasonable for someone to correct that technical language if it is indeed incorrect?

Gerald A, I hope that you don't make this your last post, as you'll find that really, all are welcome. It is like everything in life... it is not always perfect, and every now and again someone might be a bit of a smartass. But you just have to not take it personally, and move on.

The other thing I'd say, to all of those without a high level of technical knowledge... don't be afraid to use plain and ordinary language. Most here don't care if you don't know what ILS, VOR, NDB, ARP or SODPROPS are. But if you don't know what they are, then its probably easier if you don't throw them into your posts to sound "technical". I'm certainly not picking on Gerald, but his post makes a good example so I'll use it. I know when I read a post, it is far easier if someone keeps it simple and says

"At 2pm a 777 overflew Sydney, and turned left... does anyone know the rego".

For me, the inclusion of NDB doesn't add anything to the understanding of the question, and starboard just hurts my brain as I try and remember which way starboard is

So, once again Gerald, I hope you do stay around, the more the merrier. And the next time you post, I suggest you just use nice and simple language, without the unneeded techincal stuff. It will keep the smartasses at bay (as well as the spelling police ) and will make it easier for the rest of us to answer your question without a headache from trying to remember back to the good old days which way starboard is

Owen.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:01 AM

Well said Owen, just keep posting Gerald lots of people want your info,cheers.