Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2009, 10:25 PM

I was out at the airport on saturday morning, the wind then was pretty insane aswell. The Garuda A330 honestly looked like it was about to crash and there were alot of hairy approaches.

as you can see Malaysian had a bit of difficulty.

and China southern did quite well given the circumstances.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:39 PM

Guys, some top shots(Grahame, as well the others in the QF one world thread with mine). Listening to the radio on the mound where i was quite funny at times, with atc saying that the wind was "blowing", without an actual reading, and it did go from about 18 knows up to 24 at one stage and between 5-8 on the nose. Unfortunately I didn't get to the beach and left about 3.30ish just after the ANZ 772 rotated, due to other commitments. Certainly was a fun day there, and did get to chat to a guy who bought his nephews and nieces out, with his interest in aviation growing..
Old 18th May 2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
Wow, the passengers on the starboard window would have been able to see down the runway they were about to land on. Has anyone experienced that sight from a landing aircraft?
Absolutely. Landing from the south (from Cook Straight) into Wellington on an Air New Zealand 733 about 10 years ago. As soon as I saw the (great) shots above, I thought of that landing and how I was watching the runway coming up from the side of the plane. It was awesome to experience.

Some of the other pax were less enthalled, I might add.
Old 18th May 2009, 08:20 AM

Grahame,

Is that you at the fenceline in the photo of the BA 777 taken by Chris D?

I notice that there are three ladders each with camera kit attached.
Old 18th May 2009, 09:30 AM

It was the first time for me at the beach. Was enjoying it so much I took the mrs and twins out both days.

I was just next to the old control tower and the way the aircraft were coming in sideways was awesome. The Fedex MD 11 was the best.

Steve
Old 18th May 2009, 12:26 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Lee, I am just out of shot to the left, standing on the top step of a 5 step ladder looking over the top of these guys.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:27 PM

Been in an A-seat on a B737 landing on Bergen's runway 35 with a rather strong westerly crosswind.

Was an amazing view, but with all the turbulence associated with the strong wind, it was also quite a sweaty experience.

Last edited by Erik H. Bakke; 18th May 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: grammars
Old 18th May 2009, 12:28 PM

Grahame,

I'm even more impressed than I was before - atop a 5 step ladder in a gale and producing photos like that!
Old 18th May 2009, 02:30 PM

Did anyone else get out there for the sunrise yesterday morning? I'd just arrived back from Europe and spend an hour or two at the mound before heading home. Snapped these during the light show!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=2495923

Aircraft yesterday morning were reporting hitting 56kt cross winds through 1500 feet right after takeoff. Made for some interesting sights as they were hammered sideways and looked like they had virtually zero ground speed as they turned towards the WNW after takeoff! Emirates' A380 to AKL stayed very low while it built up some airspeed then after it turned to the WNW, it climbed like a homesick angel!

Last edited by Andrew McLaughlin; 18th May 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 18th May 2009, 03:17 PM

Andrew those shots are stunning, I bet a hundred times better in person though.