Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th March 2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pas View Post
Well, I have just arrived home from the Air Show and it was very UNspectacular, it is very unfortunate that people have to pay that amount of money to see 2 F16's and the F/A 18 doing what they have done since 1992, the thing worth mentioning would have to be the B-1B from the USAF, that was out of this world to see that, it set off car alarms all over the carpark, stuffed up hearing the afterburners with all those going off around me!!. Never mind, it would have given the kids a buzz anyway.
agree...stayed for 3 hours...5 in total if you include the hour to drive into the carpark and the hour to drive out...

what an absolute waste of money....would rather watch a dvd of it
Old 5th March 2011, 04:34 PM

Apparently one of the B-1's was up here in Sydney or at Richmond, can anyone confirm this?
Old 5th March 2011, 04:43 PM

Wasn't at Sydney Airport!!! There all day & never saw/heard anything.
Old 5th March 2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaryd stock View Post
Apparently one of the B-1's was up here in Sydney or at Richmond, can anyone confirm this?
One of the B-1,s had a problem after it flying display last night and landed at MEL,its since returned to Avalon this afternoon.
Old 5th March 2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks Paul.
Old 5th March 2011, 06:52 PM
Prolific Member

Nearly, no make that every year, someone has a moan on here about how ordinary or boring an airshow or flying display is. Stuff is static when it should fly, flying displays are too short, too crowded, no shade, too cold, rained, crap light for photos, yahdah, yahdah, yahdah, etc, etc, etc.

Well, what would you do differently if you were the organiser??? It's easy to pick something apart just because it doesn't entirely meet your 'wants and needs'.

For all the moaning and groaning of the 'hardcore enthusiast', there are no doubt many Joe Blow's and their families (especially the kids) who are thrilled at what they've been able to see, touch, and hear.

Now I haven't been to an airshow for probably over 5 years (except for the daily show I get when I go to work), and I'm pretty sure it was a day at Temora, but I had a fantastic day with my now late father. I got to see what was on offer, the flying displays were good, and that was fine by me. I've not been to an Avalon show.
Perhaps I'm just happy to see the results of someone's hard work coming together.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:18 PM

Well said Nigel.

For those that are whinging (and do every year) it's really simple....DON'T GO!!!
Old 5th March 2011, 11:21 PM

Absolutely, very well said Nigel. But there are many sides and opinions to any situation. Kids going to their first airshow will get a huge buzz at the current show. However after going to a few airshows human nature kicks in and we always want bigger and better. I remember going to the late Richmond air shows and we had a huge variety, you could climb all over the C5, KC10, L1011, nimrod, starlifter, even had Russian helicopters and antanovs back then. Even the fighter range was huge, with harriers, 15s, 16s, 18s, saabs etc. Im not whinging but the variety is not as much as it used to be, going on my ageing memory. Don't get me wrong I appreciate any aviation event but I can also see the other side as well. What can you do differently? Good question. I don't know, money talks I guess. I don't know what it takes to get more countries to bring out their aircraft. Malaysia and Indonesia are quite close. Not sure if it's politically correct but it would be good if they bought out mig 29s for a fly, something different. We give them enough funds each year don't we? And having the E3 and kc135 in the distance is not much point bring the barriers a bit closer. And to have a F22 come allllll the wayyyy out here and sit as a static is very disappointing. I know the airshow pilot was not available but get
up and do a few tight turns. So my point is I can see both sides. In saying this , I appreciate any aviation event that we get.

Last edited by Tony G; 5th March 2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 6th March 2011, 09:58 AM

Nigel you are spot on mate!
I know exactly what you are saying, being the organiser of an aviation show on a much much smaller scale I know what would go into organising such a huge event like Avalon.
The organisers should be commended for making the show happen!
Those who complain and are never satisfied should stay home...

Sydney Aviation Shop
Old 6th March 2011, 12:32 PM

Throughly enjoyed the 2011 airshow yesterday despite getting sunburnt in the process. I am unsure what wasn't to like really. Some great flying, not just by the expensive jets but also the older jets, WWII aircraft and a very impressive display by the Italians in the C-27. Some great mix of static displays and good weather - all in all a good day out. I even got to use my ex-RAAF ties and have a look on the 36 sqn C-17 before it was called away on operational matters. I will admit to missing just one thing - the F-111 display.