Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th June 2011, 04:10 PM

Default SYD Intl 15min free parking

Hi, I was just wondering how I get to the 15 minutes free parking at the international terminal. Do I just go in via the red or blue line, in my pic? And exit via the only exit?

Or is there some other method? The website I use is www.nearmap.com

Thanks for the assistance. Need to find out for tomorrow when my brother comes home.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:25 PM

Hi david,

can go in either way also via departures level.
You are correct, there is only 1 exit.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks Jacob, could someone else re-confirm this? I just want to make sure that I won't be paying $7 for half an hour.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:54 PM

I've tried it a few times. As long as you validate your ticket on the pay station within 15 minutes of collecting your ticket upon entering the car park, it's free. It's a close call I must admit. I've gone in and out in 14 minutes twice.
Old 20th June 2011, 05:07 PM

Hey Ryan, when you say paystation, do you mean the exit booths or do I have to get out of my car and go over to a machine?
Old 20th June 2011, 06:26 PM

Ryan summed it up nicely.

The key is simple - wait until the person you are picking up is actually at the car park. They might have to wait 5 minutes, but it is not worth it for you to stay waiting for them.

If you have less than the 15 minutes, go straight to the exit booths, insert the ticket and it captures it, opening the gate.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the response Sarah. I have arranged with my brother to message me beforehand and I will be on my way. I have also arranged a spot to pick him up. I just hope there's no traffic queues within the carpark!
Old 21st June 2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
Ryan summed it up nicely.

The key is simple - wait until the person you are picking up is actually at the car park. They might have to wait 5 minutes, but it is not worth it for you to stay waiting for them.

If you have less than the 15 minutes, go straight to the exit booths, insert the ticket and it captures it, opening the gate.
That's a good idea, but if there is a queue going to the exit booths, your 15 minutes may expire before you reach the booths. But if you insert your ticket at the paystation just outside the terminal, you have a few more extra minutes to get to the booths.
Old 21st June 2011, 03:52 PM

When my parents came back from overseas in April I was spotting to watch their arrival. They messaged me they'd arrived once they cleared customs, I drove over to the carpark. Called them once I'd parked up and got them to meet me halfway. Met them, validated the ticket (maybe 5-7 mins?) and we were off.

Worked really well, and I'll do it that way again in future too

Sarah's way will work just as well

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:18 AM

All went wonderfully well. My brother called saying he had gone through immigration and customs. I drove out there, got my ticket, got over to the place behind the huge multistory, my brother was there. Took him, and exited in under 10 minutes

Thanks guys, you were all a massive help