Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2012, 07:52 AM

Brad looking forward to seeing your plots on PP when you are up and running.

Now is a good time to buy the PP licence (25 Euros) with the Euro up around the 85 cent mark.

If you have any problems setting up don't hesitate of ask.

Noel White
Old 21st July 2012, 10:49 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I confirmed with AirNavSystems that the maximum range displayed on their Polar Plot is 300nm, the theoretical limit for line of sight reception of aircraft ADS-B transmissions.

Knowing that my setup was exceeding this range, my son set out to update the file driving the Polar Plot using all the received data, so that it was a true representation of the reception.

Left - Polar Plot highlighting the 300nm limit. _______________________________ Right - Polar Plot now using all received data

This is the same Polar Plot zoomed out so that the reception over 410nm can be
easily identified. Some great pickups out to the East and Northeast, and one out
to the Northwest.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 21st July 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:36 AM

wow! thats some good range! Im about to get up on my roof, pull the antenna down, replace the metal riser with plastic (as 1090mhz doesnt like coax inside metal tubing, it reduces the range) AND i WILL ALSO TAKE MY ANTENNA DOWN, GIVE IT A CLEAN WHILE I WAIT FOR MY lmr400 TO BE READY AND MY RADARBOX TO COME BACK FROM eUROPE (COPPED SOME STATIC DISCHARGE TO THE rx)

Damn caps lock, sorry guys!

Hey is anyone using a DC block to protect from static?? I killed my radarbox from static discharge to the receiver as I have no protection on the nantenna.

Also Grahame, are you using mast head amp?

Also how did you alter the plotting map?? ill do the same.
Old 22nd July 2012, 05:17 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Brad, I am not using a mast head amp with my ADS-B, and the process of updating the AirNav Systems Polar Plot is partly manual at present (may have a program to do it in the future).
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:10 PM

roger that!
Old 25th July 2012, 09:42 AM

I recall sometime ago there was some consideration given to a group order of these aerials from the States, but the logistics of it didnt workout. Seeing as its now possible would there be any interest in getting this going again. I for one would be interested.
Old 25th July 2012, 07:13 PM

im always interested in getting a better antenna!

Has anyone grounded their antenna or using a DC block, my box got smacked with static, had to be repaired.
Old 26th July 2012, 05:02 AM

Brad, Just a couple of points to consider.

If you are going to go with an LNA for extra gain then the one you want is the Kuhne electonics product out of Germany.
http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/pr...1090-a-tm.html
I use their products in my amateur radio satellite antenna set up and can verify the quality of their stuff...very solid compared to some of the others out there.

The second point concerns your static problem...something I also have to deal with since I use both pre-amps and LNA's with my satellite stuff and my radio equipment on the other end is very sensitive to static discharges..particularly from nearby lightning activity...the corona from lightning discharges can hit as far away as 18 miles and can put enough electricity in the air to blow out all of the electronics that might be connected to any nearby antennas. What you need is a good grounding system so that the static discharges go to ground and not to your equipment..a DC block will not work in that application..its used to stop voltages going up the center conductor of coax to antennas where its not needed (to power mast mounted equipment for example that does not have/need a dedicated dc 2 wire feed).

I have extensive docs available on how to build good grounding systems that will provide the protection your looking for...(keep in mind though that nothing will protect against a direct hit) They are too large to post here so you can contact me by email if your interested and I will send them your way. The link below covers many different references on this subject.
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Techni...nce/Grounding/

Regards

MS
Old 26th July 2012, 06:39 AM

I should have also added in my last response that static electricity can also be generated by high winds/dust build up across antenna and coax surfaces thus providing that accumulated voltage potential that can end up getting to your receiver if not adequately protected. Make sure the receiver is directly grounded at your desk location...and if you want to go the extra mile get yourself a wrist strap (connected to a ground of course) and use that attached to your wrist any time you handle the receiver. All of the above may seem like a pain but not as big a pain as your going to have (both down time and $$$) if you have to keep getting your equipment repaired/replaced etc.

Regards
MS
Old 26th July 2012, 09:07 PM

thanks Mike, i8ll email you, im happy to run a grounding system at the antenna but have no idea how!

thanks