Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th March 2010, 05:02 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default British helicopter pilot shot between the eyes but keeps flying to save 20 soldiers

Quote:
A BRITISH Chinook helicopter pilot was shot between the eyes by a Taliban bullet - but flew on and saved all 20 aboard, The Sun reported.
Flight Lieutenant Ian Fortune, 28, had flown in to pick up casualties as a firefight raged between American and Afghan forces and heavily-armed rebels near Garmsir in Helmand Province.
Flt-Lt Fortune - who had TV presenter Mike Brewer on the aircraft filming a documentary - was advised to hold off on approach to the battle as it was "too hot" on the ground. He circled until troops reported incoming fire had calmed down.
But as he flew in the helicopter came under attack - which continued as casualties were being loaded.
Then, as he lifted off, Flt-Lt Fortune was shot. A bullet hit a metal rail on the front of his helmet which is used to attach night vision goggles.The round then penetrated his helmet hitting him between the eyes. It knocked his head back and caused severe bleeding.
More bullets followed, hitting the Chinook's controls and shutting down the stabilisation system.
But with blood pouring into his eyes, Flt-Lt Fortune battled with the controls to stop the chopper from spiraling out of control
Then with the aircraft lurching from side to side he continued flying for eight minutes before landing at Camp Bastion.
He was taken to the field hospital and treated for his wound.
It is the first time in the nine-year war in Afghanistan a pilot has been shot while in the air.
One senior RAF source said: "This could have become one of the worst incidents of the conflict.
"If the bullet had hit the pilot a millimetre lower, those on board wouldn't have stood a chance.
"And had it not been for the skill of the pilot the result would have been the same."
Brewer, 41, who was with a crew from the Discovery Channel, said: "The courage and heroism of the pilot was beyond belief."
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225837441108
Old 5th March 2010, 05:17 PM
Prolific Member

With a surname like "Fortune", could the outcome have really been any different??
Old 5th March 2010, 05:22 PM

If the incident occurred as reported, surely Flt Lt Fortune deserves the Victoria Cross (VC) or Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC) at least for his act of gallantry and heroism.
Old 6th March 2010, 01:28 PM

Whilst a remarkable story of skill and heroism the cynic in me is asking what was the co-pilot doing all this time?

Cheers
Old 6th March 2010, 03:34 PM

Hi Chris

That's what I was also thinking so perhaps there's more to it than reported as I mentioned in my initial response.

And when I first read the sensational headline, I thought "how can anyone survive being shot between the eyes ?" Normally you don't think of a bullet's velocity being slowed down by a "metal rail" and then a helmet before penetrating between the eyes.

Hopefully the true story with all the facts will be revealed at some time.
Old 6th March 2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Normally you don't think of a bullet's velocity being slowed down by a "metal rail" and then a helmet before penetrating between the eyes.
Normally you wouldn't but strange things happen, in Robert Mason's excelent book about Vietnam era helo flying he writes of a colleague who felt a thud on the right side of his head and instinctively felt for the wound, finding blood and a jagged hole in his helmet. Turning to his left seater he was greeted by his ashen white expression and the shockeing news he was wounded on that side as well. Turns out the bullet had entered the right side of his helmet, ricoched off a ridge of bone on his skull, travelled around the inside of his helmet, leaving a groove in his scalp and the helmet lining, hit the corresponding bony ridge on his left side and ricoched out thru his helmet exiting through the cockpit glazing.

Cheers

Chris

PS the book is called Chickenhawk by Robert Mason and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in military helo operations.
Old 6th March 2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
That's what I was also thinking so perhaps there's more to it than reported as I mentioned in my initial response.
... "how can anyone survive being shot between the eyes ?"
On a side note, did anyone happen to watch Gands of Oz last week? They retold the story of the guy (name escapes me...) who was doing a lot of bank hold ups... He got about 5 or 6 bank staff to surround him as an armour to a car. They followed him to the Spit Bridge but before he could cross it, NSW Police managed to lift the bridge! Anyway, a policeman who snuck up to the car, startled him and WAS shot clear inbetween his eyes (close range) whilst another policeman had a clear shot at the offender. The policeman survived totally without any physical effects of the shotting!

Sorry to digress, back to the topic!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 6th March 2010, 06:10 PM

Hi Chris

I have "Chickenhawk" in my large collection as well as other classics such as "The Ravens" and "Air America" both by Christopher Robbins.

There are some pretty amazing stories to be read and I guess we will hear a lot more in the future from Irag and Afghanistan.

Cheers

Bob

Last edited by Bob C; 6th March 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling