Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2012, 08:41 AM

Default VA/Seating of male pax nr unaccompanied minors

Going through my e-mails and amongst the regular update from Airfleets was an item regarding seating of male passengers next to unaccompanied minors on Virgin Australia.

Not sure if this is a recent decision from VA that male passengers are not to be seated next to unaccompanied minors (assume males travelling on their own) or as a result of an incident.

It appears that some airlines already have this in place as a precaution.

Whatever the reason it does makes sense.

http://www.paggsy.smugmug.com
Old 12th August 2012, 11:07 AM

As a former police officer, I can attest to there being female sexual predators. As a male, I find this method of thinking highly offensive.
Old 12th August 2012, 11:35 AM

Qantas has a similar policy.
Old 12th August 2012, 12:29 PM

Anyone care to share written confirmation of these policies anonymously?
Old 13th August 2012, 07:14 AM

No because that would be a breach of confidentiality between the employee and the airline. I think it's innaporiate even to ask that on a public forum.
Old 13th August 2012, 08:30 PM

It is an offence to discriminate based upon gender, and a further offence if you conceal such offence, so anyone who has this as a directive from their employer and does nothing about it is committing an offence.

Depending upon the circumstances under which said information was provided, it may not breach the company/employee confidentiality guidelines.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:01 PM

Looks like Qantas did the same to one of their passengers.

From the Brisbane times

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...813-243t4.html
Old 13th August 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radi K View Post
No because that would be a breach of confidentiality between the employee and the airline.
Please excuse my ignorance here, however I would have thought such policies are made available to the public?

I believe that is how the topic recently became news and now VA have said they are currently 'reviewing' this particular policy.
Old 14th August 2012, 02:08 AM

Hi Adam

Not all polices are made available to the public. For example, when persons in lawful custody travel, there are set procedures that cannot be released into the public domain. The same goes for flight deck access. When air marshals travel, again protections, even internally must be strictly adhered to.

Wayne, the airline is not discriminating on gender. The passenger is not denied travel. It is the same for disabled passengers that require specific seating and cannot be placed into an exit row. The passenger is not denied boarding. The terms and conditions of the ticket require the airline to provide passage from a to b regardless of their physical seat on the aircraft. The nature of the policy is not a secret nor asked to be kept that way. To release confidential policies and procedures is however a breach of the confidentiality agreement that the employee and employer enter and would be like revealing financial information without approval.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radi K View Post

........ the airline is not discriminating on gender.
WHAT??? I don't understand. The pax was moved because he was MALE. If the PAX had been female they would have stayed where they are. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....you can't argue it's a Kookaburra.