Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2012, 11:39 PM

Interesting comments about the QANTAS board and its influence on management or otherwise.

No doubt all the 12 members of the present board bring their vast knowledge and experience from many industries to QANTAS as in the case of other companies.

But from what I can ascertain, only three of the present members - Alan Joyce, James Strong and Patricia Ward have previous experience in aviation. I suppose four if you include General Peter Cosgrove as he worked with helicopters in Timor ad elsewhere.

Could the lack of aviation experience on the Board be a problem ?
Old 25th August 2012, 05:31 AM

I don't think a lack of experience in aviation would have much bearing on the company. The board is really there to represent the interests of the shareholders, while the CEO works with the board to set strategy and run the day-to-day operations. Many other companies, especially those listed on the ASX, have boards with members who have cut their teeth in other industries, but in doing so may have a better understanding of corporate governance or be able to bring a wider perspective into the mix.

I might get flamed for saying this, but I think often airlines have benefited more from having senior management come in from outside the industry. Air NZ's turnaround under Ralph Norris is a good case in point. My perception (and I am open to being told it is wrong) is that with aviation being a pretty incestuous world that groupthink can set in among managers who have been around the industry a fair while, whereas those who come from outside can sometimes bring some new thinking and challenge set ideas. Sometimes that doesn't work out and can become dysfunctional, but sometimes it allows an airline to push forward.
Old 25th August 2012, 08:18 AM

I'm sick of hearing the 777 Qantas thing. We all know way back when they were too big/heavy for the regional Asia routes and too small for the long haul. Ash W is absolutely right. The A330 is the perfect aircraft for regional and the A380 exactly what was needed for long haul (when the decisions were made). The 744ERs were also a better option than getting 77Ws. There was a really good article on this a couple of years ago that fully debunked the 777 nonsense (I can't find it again though). But yes, the 787 is the perfect replacement for the A330, better than the A350 for what Qantas will use them for, but they don't need them as urgently.