Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2008, 10:51 PM

Nooo. Saabs!!!

Or Airbii.

Any aeroplane for that matter. They're complex beasts, they break down. Fact of life for any airline.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:34 PM

Hi All,

So why wasn't this incident on this news (TV Media) and beaten up, like what they have done with Qantas over the past several weeks???

This is no different to the Qantas Flight from Adelaide I think that couldn't retact the Landing gear Doors, exceprt this happened on a Brand New Jet!!

As it was coming in faster than normal, wasn't passenger safety as risk??
I know they weren't.

But the media (TV Networks) should have done something about this as they can't beat up one airline and ignor the others in Australia.

VB doesn't have a perfect track record either, it somehow manages to get swept under the carpet, as far as the media are concerned.

Stuart
Old 14th August 2008, 05:10 AM

I think you will find that Virgin Blue are a bit more proactive when dealing with the media on these sorts of issues by providing the media with information with about various incidents. Qantas tends to be reactive after the media finds out about incidents from passengers, who have just disembarked ashen faced from a flight which returned to the gate, and after having scribbled thier last will & testement on the back of a barf bag.

Virgin Blue also tend to invite the media to a better party

Anthony T
Old 14th August 2008, 08:44 AM

Is DJ (VB) currently negotiating with its engineers? No?

I think we have an answer re. the beat-ups.

Mind you the 744 incident (yes, I should have the reg. memorised by now, but don't) was a major one, so you can't blame the media for keeping tabs.

kent
Old 14th August 2008, 08:55 AM

Smile

Some of you armchair experts crack me up

Qantaslink have had Q400's for several of years and they still have significant dispatch reliability problems (in spite of having some of the best engineers I've had the pleasure of knowing). You should hear what they have to say about build quality. They spend much of their time making right what should have been done properly at assembly.

The fact is that no matter who the manufacturer is, you will always have problems with new aircraft.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:36 AM

Gotta agree with you, Hugh!
Guess it doesn't matter whether its automobiles or aircraft, anything coming off a production line can be expected to have teething problems of one sort or another.
With the number of and complexity of parts in an aircraft, it surprises me a little that we don't here more of these, generally minor, hiccups.

P.S. My little 98 Hyundai has 285,402Kms on it today, and is still purring along. Now my previous Subaru......grrr!!!!
Old 14th August 2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
we don't here more of these, generally minor, hiccups.
I think you've answered your own question there, John. You don't hear about them because they're minor - and not newsworthy.

Just because it's not in the news doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And just because it IS in the news doesn't mean it's abnormal.
Old 14th August 2008, 05:36 PM

Hi Adam. Yes, you hit the nail on the head there.
I admit that I didn't really make myself clear- thinking more of a mention within these threads, rather than a full media onslaught when aviation is, as at present the Flavour of the Month.
Surely it must soon be Cityrail's turn again for the Media Dartboard. Lol
Cheers John
Old 14th August 2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
Is DJ (VB) currently negotiating with its engineers? No?

I think we have an answer re. the beat-ups.

Mind you the 744 incident (yes, I should have the reg. memorised by now, but don't) was a major one, so you can't blame the media for keeping tabs.

kent
I know that the union and QF reached an agreement on the 18th of July on the new EBA, was it voted in, or is the EBA still under negotiations?