Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2008, 06:57 PM

Gareth, as the others have said, I'd suggest you send a polite note to the pilots - via the cabin crew - during the flight, explaining your interest in flying, and asking if it would be possible to see the flight deck after engine shutdown. I can't speak for other carriers, but you'd always be welcomed onto a Qantas flight deck (unless the crew were in a hurry to get to another aeroplane, which might be the case on some domestic sectors).

Such requests seem to be very rare these days - I get asked maybe twice a year, and it's usually by the parents of young children (which is great, because some of my best memories of flight deck 'wonderment' were at that age!). If a hardcore enthusiast were to ask, and we weren't in a rush to get off the aeroplane, I'd have no problem running them right through the flight deck in detail, and photos are no problem at all. If I know someone's coming up, we'll usually leave the IRSs aligned so that the screens (PFD and ND) show all their normal information.

Best of luck with it!
Old 24th October 2008, 07:58 PM

Howdy Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
Hate to sound like im a party breaker but i cannot believe airlines will do that now, unless you have be security cleared or known to the company. As much as i want to check out the flight deck during flight, I would rather feel safe during flight than random people having access to the flightdeck. On the ground is a different story, i pushing kids out the way so i can see.
I can back Michaels comments up - my experiences (just being a plane geek - no ASIC and not a company employee) have been on OS and NZ post 9/11... obviosly nothing like post 9/11 though.

Regards

Luke/PER
Survived 1562 flights / 5407:43hrs / 2,431,608 miles
Now SQ, EK, QF, AF, EK, KE and CZ A380 compliant - MH next!
Old 25th October 2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Tidmarsh View Post
as the others have said, I'd suggest you send a polite note to the pilots - via the cabin crew - during the flight
Furthermore, it then leaves the decision to the guys in charge as opposed to flight attendants, who often say no straight away (possibly are told to do so?). I remember once I spent some serious amount of time while on a KLM B747 trying to ask this 6 foot tall Dutch beauty to ask the guys upstairs if I could visit them after landing. She kept saying 'no you're not allowed'. So I wrote a short note to The Boss and kindly asked her to deliver it. 10 mins later she's back all sweet and goes 'follow me after we land'.

Such short letters have never failed. Plus they usually come with a handwritten reply, which is a super-kind gesture and makes the flight much more enjoyable.
Old 26th October 2008, 02:58 AM

Following up on Will's comment regarding pics when parked at the gate..I can tell you that the first thing on our minds after shutting down the airplane is to get off the thing ASAP and beat "the masses" thru Immigration/customs then getting our spot on the bus before 16 F/A's arrive That said, if folks are looking for pictures then the "junior man" (seniority wise) is assigned the task while the rest of us head out !!!

I can also tell you that comapny policy is no cockpit access pre-flight or during flight, No pic's of crew members, no pics of specific items, even we crew members are not allowed cameras during those same time periods.

Sam is in a good position being an accredited photog with publications in print. Airlines always go out of their way to accomodate folks in his position as long as the right ID's are presented.

Regards

MS
Old 26th October 2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
I can also tell you that company policy is no cockpit access pre-flight
Really? Better remind your colleagues - I don't think I've ever been denied a quick visit up front pre-flight on UA!
Old 26th October 2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
That said, if folks are looking for pictures then the "junior man" (seniority wise) is assigned the task while the rest of us head out !!!
And that man would usually be me, Mike
Old 26th October 2008, 06:42 AM

Gabriel, keep in mind that I only quote policy and have the written directive in front of me. I know from personal experience that on international flights we do strictly adhere to policy and once passenger boarding commences our door is closed except for crew/maintenance related activity. The main reason for the pre-flight restriction is the attention to detail and process required prior to departure.
Bottom line though is that it's the crew members decision...though I would add that in our current furlough/anti management environment (especially domestic) that they risk being turned in by someone with nothing better to do. Dont get me wrong, I'm definitely not against any look/see situation but I'd rather not get written up for something so trivial (I have enough write up's already over the years thank you) so as has been said earlier...you can always ask but be understanding that its not personal if the answer is sorry.. not at this time.

Regards

MS
Old 28th October 2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I know from personal experience that on international flights we do strictly adhere to policy and once passenger boarding commences our door is closed except for crew/maintenance related activity.
Again, not calling your authority into question or anything, but this certainly differs from my experience! I'm on UA trans-pacs a few times a year, upper deck, and I've observed that the flight deck is always open until boarding finishes and the aircraft doors are closed. Most of my visits up front are during this period pre-flight.

Interesting...
Old 28th October 2008, 07:02 AM

Then I guess you've been lucky. "personal experience" refers to my own trips where if there are no unresolved maintenance issues and we have the Gendec from the chief purser the door is closed....also deadheading trips where we are always allocated seats on the upper deck. There is both policy and personal choice...there are a number of reasons (some valid) why policy might not be followed....I prefer to not have to answer those questions.

regards

MS
Old 28th October 2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysztof M View Post
I remember once I spent some serious amount of time while on a KLM B747 trying to ask this 6 foot tall Dutch beauty to ask the guys upstairs if I could visit them after landing. She kept saying 'no you're not allowed'. So I wrote a short note to The Boss and kindly asked her to deliver it. 10 mins later she's back all sweet and goes 'follow me after we land'.
I would have been more interested in a downstairs visit... sure she may have said 'no you're not allowed' but if you wrote a kind note - a 'follow me after we land' may have been in order!