Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2008, 12:37 PM

Default PER-KTA-PER DJ Trip Report

First up, this is my first trip report, so constructive criticism is most definetly welcomed! I've uploaded my images onto google picasa. It seems to work fine.

Part 1, PER-KTA.
DJ1721
Plane: Embraer ERJ-190 VH-ZPE
STD: 0545
ATD: 0548
ETA: 0745
ATA: 0739
PAX: 48-50 + 5 crew

With a scheduled departure time of 0545, Mum and I headed off to the airport at 0445, a little later than i wanted to! We managed to get to the airport at about 0519, enough time to park, buy a newspaper, clear security, and sit down for 2 minutes before boarding commenced.

Seated in 10D & 10F, which, unlike seatguru.com suggests, is NOT an exit row seat. Nonetheless, seats were very very comfortable, and we were greeted by, as expected, a bubbling and excited Virgin Blue cabin crew.

Once we took off, I was amazed at just how quick the ascent was - we zoomed up right out of PER at an amazing angle!

The flight got a little bumpy towards the end as there was lots of cloud about. The approach was amazing; lots of left hand banking turns, including one right into the clouds, which I haven't done before.

We landed without drama, and taxi'd straight to the parking area, disembarking very soon after.

Here are some pictures on arrival (Heavy cloud cover made for not great photo taking!).

Looking back down Runway 08/26

The front of ZPE

Disembarking & Refuelling

Skywest F100 VH-FNC with QF 738 VH-VXS in the background.

That concludes the first part of the trip: Now onto Karratha and surrounds.

Last edited by Rhys Xanthis; 20th November 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:38 PM

Being in KTA for just 1 day, we had no checked baggage, and proceeded straight to the Europcar check-in desk to collect our car for the day: an almost brand new Hyundai Elantra.

From there we headed into Karratha to grab some breakfast at a cafe, which was very nice (although a little expensive, but we expected that!).

GPS in hand, we jumped back in the car, and headed for Dampier, about 20km out of Karratha. Unfortunately, Dampier was not that spectacular. Only 1 ship was at the wharf, so we didn't see much bustling activity.

Some scenery on the way to Dampier.

The lone docked ship.

From Dampier we headed up to the Burrup Peninsula. Along the way we spotted a gravel road heading out to the beach, so we took it and went down to have a look and take some pictures. It was spectacular! The water is so calm.

The Ocean.

Hills of rocks!

Picture of the sky i took from my camera that reminded me somewhat of Skywest's logo.

We then headed further up the peninsula, heading towards the NW Gas Shelf visitors centre. On the way we passed a few turn off's heading to large construction/storage areas, as well as an Ammonia plant run by Burrup Fertilisers. Expecting something fantastic, the visitors centre let me down somewhat, but did have some interesting stats on the rigs offshore. It also had a great view of an LNG processing train run by Woodside.

Burrup Fertilisers Ammonia Plant

A very large LNG processing train run by Woodside Petroleum.

The green domes in the distance are huge storage tanks for LNG.

Last edited by Rhys Xanthis; 20th November 2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:38 PM

We then headed out of Dampier and Burrup, having seen what it offers. Passing through Karratha again, we headed towards Coassack and Point Samson, about 30km away. Cossack is a small historic ghost town, with a few restored buildings and ruins. Point Samson is a little town offering a few places to eat, mostly for the mining workers. My cousin used to live in Karratha, and recommended a fish and chip place called "Moby's." The Red Emperor and chips was very nice, but the flies didn't help, and the seagulls didn't mind flying right up to you, only vacating the immediate area around your head with a sharp punch of the air.

The waters around Cossack, complete with a few fishermen having a lazy day out!

The old schoolhouse of Cossack, now boarded up.

Beach at Point Samson, complete with ship on the horizon.

We then decided to head back, going through the town of Wickham on the way, a nice little town populated mostly by mining folk.

Wickham Townsite

We always see the mining trucks side on or front on, but how often from the back! They look even more amazing from back here, let me tell you!

We also passed through Roeburne, a mostly aboriginal community. This place was sad - it was like what you see in the news. Beer bottles smashed everywhere, old cars, beer boxes strewn all over the footpaths, run down houses. You come here and you really get an appreciation for what alcohol (and drugs) has done to the Aboriginal communities. They are really nice people too; we met some earlier, fishing in Cossack. I can't help but feel that John Howard was most certainly correct in his assessment and action on this problem - an intervention is certainly warranted and needed.

Last edited by Rhys Xanthis; 20th November 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:01 PM

At this time we decided to head back to the airport. We had seen all we wanted to see in Karratha and the surrounding areas. We parked the car, and dropped off our keys.

I took the opportunity to take a walk around, and snapped a few pictures along the way.

WA Police fixed wing powering down. VH-WPY.

Bristow Helicopters VH-BZB Super Puma in the foreground, VH-BZW Sikorsky S-76A.

QF 738 VH-VXF.

Skywest F100 VH-FSW.

VH-ZPE back to pick us up again.

View just before embarking.

DJ 1728
Plane: Embraer ERJ-190
ETD: 1735
ATD: 1755
ETA: 1930
ATD: 1945
PAX: 28 + 5 crew (!)

Another amazing flight in the very comfortable E-190. Lively cabin crew experienced again, and it was a very smooth flight. I fell asleep for the last hour, something i usually don't do in a plane! Goes to show how comfy it was...

Landing in Perth was smooth and uneventful, a NJS BAe 146 waiting to get onto the runway to take off after we landed. Disembarked at an aerobridge (I was not expecting that!).

One last picture:

VH-VNB getting filled for her flight to Melbourne as the sun sets behind the A320.

It was an amazing day, first experience of an Embraer, and also first time up North, and if anyone has any frequent flyers they aren't using, i can recommend a day up in Karratha to see it all! (But don't expect it to be the best thing since sliced bread).

Thats it, I hope you enjoyed reading! As mentioned before, constructive criticism appreciated!

Last edited by Rhys Xanthis; 20th November 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:19 PM

I can't see any of your pics I'm afraid...
Old 20th November 2008, 04:25 PM

EDIT: See below.

Last edited by Rhys Xanthis; 20th November 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 20th November 2008, 05:13 PM

phew.

I *think* that has sorted out the issues with photo's.
Old 20th November 2008, 05:13 PM

Rhys nice report and great photos well done.
Old 20th November 2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil.l View Post
Rhys nice report and great photos well done.
thanks

I've spent basically all day trying to get all these photo's uploaded properly...next time i see a good deal i will almost certainly be buying some webspace and a URL!

My desire for a good lens is now enhanced greatly!

Taking everything with an 18-55mm stock lens made me almost cry!
Old 20th November 2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
thanks

I've spent basically all day trying to get all these photo's uploaded properly...next time i see a good deal i will almost certainly be buying some webspace and a URL!

My desire for a good lens is now enhanced greatly!

Taking everything with an 18-55mm stock lens made me almost cry!
Hey Rhys,
Great TR, and the photo's were great!!!
For a bargain, I use http://name.com.au/ for my webhost. They have a lot of resources available for $20 for 2 years, including space for a webpage development, blog, photos etc... Have a look!!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images