Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st August 2011, 05:18 PM

Default Photos: Central West NSW Aerodromes

G'day folks

Been a while since I posted some photos on here, thought I'd share a few for people's interests. As a word of warning, if you're not a fan of Camera phones or anything that isn't crisp colour photos taken from DSLRs, may I strongly suggest turning away from the thread immediately!
Now that's out of the way!

Last month, I did a roadtrip from Bathurst to Wagga Wagga, and along the way, stopped at a few aerodromes for a gander. It's all well and good seeing these aerodromes on maps and ERSA listings, but I wanted to see it for myself.

Came across a few items of interest, and experimented with my newly acquired iTelephone 4 with the 'Hipstimatic' App, as well as my GoProHD with wide angle lens. The following are my day's results, and all photos are thumbnails that take you to a larger version on my Flickr site.

DHA-3 Drover, VH-ADN, at Bathurst

Came across this lovely old aircraft at Bathurst, and the owner was very kind to allow me through and have a closer look at it.

(More here)

NSW Ambulance Helicopter Base

Having worked in Orange last year, I was always very curious as to what went on here and how they operate. I got my chance and took it!

Cudal Airport

This was the airport where Hazelton Airlines started decades ago and were based up until the collapse of the Ansett group and their merger to Kendall to become Regional Express. These two old Hazelton Promotional videos (Part 1 and Part 2) found on YouTube give a good insight into this.

It is now a Farm Machinery dealership, however the runway is still used, but privately and the landing fee is a bottle of red or something!

Young Aerodrome

Very simple aerodrome, and passenger terminal, once used for RPT flights.

Cootamundra Aerodrome

Like Young, but a few maintenance businesses based here as well as ultralight operations.

Hope you folks enjoy this set. Will get around to sharing some more 'Hipstimatic' film effect aviation photos if anyone's interested.

Enjoy!
Old 21st August 2011, 06:21 PM

I have been for a fly in that Drover a few years back now. Was quite pleasant Did Charlie say if it was still flying?
Old 21st August 2011, 11:17 PM

Hi Phil

Yeah, was told it's still airworthy and does the odd few trips to Airshows and fly-ins and the like.
Old 30th August 2011, 08:27 AM

If you look at Cudal on googlemaps, you can see all the machinery