Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd October 2008, 10:23 PM

Default Cockpit Access

Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the rules have changed post 9/11 regarding passengers getting to see the cockpit. I remember back in the '90s when I was a kid I was always able to on the long hauls, but I'm wondering if anyone has been able to recently.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:38 PM

Not in Australia. Any cockpit visit is strictly before take-off or after landing when the aircraft is parked at the gate - on the crew's discretion.

Some airlines in Europe still allowed cockpit visit inflight. A friend of mine flew LH on HKG-MUC, he was able to visit the cockpit inflight.

My last cockpit visit was back in 2001 on CX 343 HKG-SYD.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:27 AM

I remember going to see the cockpit not so long ago

Cant remember when for the life of me though...may have been on a trip to/from Melbourne, the cabin crew asked if i wanted to go see the cockpit.

Got a look in a VB 738 cockpit last year, very nice to see. All the lights etc were off at that stage, but they turned them on so i could see everything
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

As Michael said inflight cockpit access is now pre departure, but even that isnt a real good time as the flight crew are usually busy on setting the aircraft up and running pre-start checks, after arrival at the gate is usually the best time.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all that - It's been a while since I've flown but since I've gotten interested in photography I want to try to get some cockpit photos. I'll give it a try next time I go to Melbourne.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:22 AM

Hey Gareth,
I have always asked the flight attendants during flight if i could stick my head in after the flight and have only been turned down once out of about 6 times some of which I have acctually been able to sit in the seats.

I took Sam Chui's option of writing a small letter outlining how your love aviation and enjoy taking photos and if a quick photo in the flightdeck would be possible after flight. It worked when i was on 747-300 EBX in Perth(although i was a 17 by myself)

A question for everyone else? Are tri-pods aloud on planes? As im travelling VS201 and we arrive in HKG at night i wanted to try a few exposure shots during flight and not sure if they would think of a tri-pod as some sort of weapon. If not, what can i do?

Tim
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
Hey Gareth,

I took Sam Chui's option of writing a small letter outlining how your love aviation and enjoy taking photos and if a quick photo in the flightdeck would be possible after flight. It worked when i was on 747-300 EBX in Perth(although i was a 17 by myself)

Tim

Hi Tim,

I never send any notes out. Not sure where you got that idea from, but if it works, it is great for you and all. On occasion travelling on memorable flights I do send a log sheet for the captain to sign and post useful information for record purpose.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:11 AM

I think there was a thread about taking tripods aboard aircraft on the old message board and the general consensus was that security will not let you.
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:02 PM

I have carried tripod on many flights and used it for cabin exposure shots, out of window will be a bit diffcult using tripod.
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:05 PM

I have been told, in uniform, that my tripod was a 'clubbing hazard' and I could not take it through. I asked the Captain if he thought it would be a hazard in a nightclub, he said no.