Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2008, 03:58 AM

Default Call for AU-NZ flights to be domestic

From the Sydney Morning Herald.

Quote:
Relax Tasman travel limits, say airports
Jano Gibson Urban Affairs Reporter
July 11, 2008

DIRECT flights from New Zealand to Australia should be treated like domestic trips between Australian cities to boost international traveller numbers, leaders of the tourism industry say.

The idea of bridging the divide between the countries is included in Newcastle Airport's submission to the Federal Government's aviation review.

"New Zealand should be treated as domestic through reduced [customs, immigration and quarantine] requirements," the submission said.

"This would better place Australia as an attractive international tourism destination through improved air accessibility similar to that achieved in the [European Union]."

The concept has been supported by Canberra airport, while Air New Zealand and the Tourism and Transport Forum said relaxing passenger processing regulations would benefit tourism.

New Zealand is Australia's biggest tourism market: more than 1.1 million of its nationals arrived in the past 12 months.

By comparison, 685,000 Britons came to Australia for business or leisure, while 461,000 arrived from the US.

A recent report commissioned by the Premier, Morris Iemma, found the Government had lost billions of dollars in potential tourism revenue since the 2000 Sydney Olympics because of a "doesn't care" attitude.

One of the recommendations by the report's author, John O'Neill, was for Newcastle Airport to become the state's second international aviation hub.

The airport currently has one "international" flight per week to Norfolk Island but hopes to establish direct links to New Zealand and Malaysia in the future.

Its chief executive, Paul Hughes, said the cost of supplying customs, immigration and quarantine facilities made it difficult for regional airports to open up to international carriers.

"To have a range of barriers between the two countries, where the countries are very closely aligned, to me is a restrictive trade opportunity, particularly in terms of tourism," Mr Hughes said.

The managing director of Canberra airport, Stephen Byron, said assisting regional airports to cater for international flights would have benefits elsewhere.

"It helps airports like Newcastle and Canberra play a role in trying to ease the squeeze on Sydney Airport," Mr Byron said.

The friendly rivalry between Australia and New Zealand should not get in the way of attempts to improve tourism opportunities, he said.

"Some people think Kiwis are funny people but other people think Adelaide people are funny people. I think we are all from the same part of the world … and anything we can do to enhance tourism … we should be doing."

The general manager Australia for Air New Zealand, John Harrison, said: "Any reductions in departure and arrival processes should be positive for the tourism industries of both countries."

The executive director of the Tourism and Transport Forum, Olivia Wirth, said long queues at quarantine checkpoints were damaging Australia's reputation.

"We need to look at new measures, such as the one being proposed by Newcastle [Airport]," Ms Wirth said.

A spokesman for the Minister for Infrastructure, Anthony Albanese, said the idea would be considered in the same way as all other submissions to the review.

The Government will release an aviation policy green paper in September, followed by a white paper early next year.
The idea certainly has merit.
Old 11th July 2008, 06:08 AM

It's had merit since it was first floated as part 3 of the original SAM proposal back in 1994. All of part 3 was put on the backburner in 1996 when parts 1 & 2 were signed off, and then it was the only piece of part 3 of SAM that didn't make it through the Nov 2000 signing off of SAM part 3.

In essence, one entry point with relevant immigration and customs checks for both countries done there and one exit point (last point of visit in either country) for both countries done at that point. Effectively turning trans-Tasman into domestic.
Old 11th July 2008, 08:35 AM
Prolific Member

I always thought NZ were our Eastern Islands anyway....
Old 11th July 2008, 10:34 AM

Ah Nigel,,,almost but not quite.

New Zealand - North Island, South Island, WEST island.

Old 11th July 2008, 11:34 AM

I have always considered NZ to be another Island of Australia, sort of like Tassie. Half of the country lives here anyways.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
"Some people think Kiwis are funny people but other people think Adelaide people are funny people..."
I think both Kiwi and Adelaide folk are "funny"...

Old 11th July 2008, 12:08 PM

Everyone knows my feelings.Keep them away from here. It should be kept as it is now.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:16 PM

Haha swaggy, I thought you of all people would be the most embrassing of this idea?

Hmmm... Mixed signals...

Old 11th July 2008, 01:54 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
Everyone knows my feelings.Keep them away from here. It should be kept as it is now.

Yes, you can't trust those Adelaide people.

The Kiwis are ok though!
Old 11th July 2008, 02:06 PM
ChrisG.

G'day Ray,
In my time of reading the board, I have noticed that you seem to have a totally unfounded hate of New Zealanders. Also of low cost carriers. Also of folk of different culture (no bacon on a chicken burger should jog the memory).

Is there anything in the world that you do appreciate?

Perhaps it's time to move on.

Chris