Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th June 2010, 01:42 AM

Default New York Airports in Winter & Snow

Hey everyone,

I am travelling to the states over the new year period Dec/Jan and am looking at booking a 6am flight NYC to MIA to board a cruise that leaves the same day at 1700 ... have to be on board at 1500.

I am wondering if the NYC area airports get affected much by snow and the like, do you think this tight scheduling would work or should i just leave from the night before?

Hakan

MEL - HKG / HKG - ZRH - DUS / DUS - FCO / VCE - PRG / PRG - IST / IST - ECN / ECN - ZRH - BKK / BKK - MEL

December 28 to January 24

MEL - LAX / LAX - LAS (Vegas New Year!) / LAS - JFK / JFK - MIA / MCO - LAX / LAX - MEL
Old 7th June 2010, 05:58 PM

I hope this doesnt get posted twice!!!! my machine has had a silly fit!!!

If I were you I would be leaving earlier, when the conditions hit the East Coast, they generally hit hard.

We have experienced this on a trip in early Jan (just a couple of years back)

Ours was from YYZ to SEA.

We didnt need to worry as we had no immediate plans from SEA.

We could relax, and just go with the flow and the unreal experience.

However, it would be a shame to miss out on a further travel experience due to cutting it too fine.

After our experience, I would never cut things fine in the N/H winter, its just not worth the stress.

I am sure you will get much more valuable advice than mine from the team.

Happy travelling Hakan

Kind regards,

Geoff
Old 8th June 2010, 06:25 PM

They were closed fully for at least 3 days over the Winter just gone!

That was fully closed with no flights in or out! Delays after that were horrendous

There was many many other days (more than 10 from memory) where delays were upwards of 24 hours.

Plan to arrive the day before if not earlier.

For the sake of a hotel room for 1 or 2 nights it's better than missing your cruise!
Old 9th June 2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks guys for all the responses, you have all been a great help!

I guess i will fly out the night/afternoon prior, any ideas on which NYC airport to use, which airport usually has less delays or copes better?

Hakan

MEL - HKG / HKG - ZRH - DUS / DUS - FCO / VCE - PRG / PRG - IST / IST - ECN / ECN - ZRH - BKK / BKK - MEL

MEL - LAX / LAX - LAS (Vegas New Year!) / LAS - JFK / JFK - MIA / MCO - LAX / LAX - MEL
Old 9th June 2010, 07:45 PM

I just read that you are flying FROM NYC to Miami! I thought it was the other way around!

I would go from the airport that has the most flight really, but it looks pretty even!

30 flights - According to Travelocity!

10 JFK
9 LGA
11 EWR
Old 10th June 2010, 12:33 PM

Hakan, I think your decision to overnight in NYC is a wise one. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows if any of the airports are better equiped to handle weather related factors than the other. I was caught many years ago when I was flying from La Guardia to Boston and return in one day to visit a friend. I sat on a Delta 727-200 for 3 hours at the gate in La Guardia (which actually didn't bother me at all: NYC + plane = better than being stuck in front of the telie back home). I seem to recall that all 3 major greater NYC airports were snowed in that morning. For the record I did make it to see my friend who picked me and a live lobster (some would say "pick the difference") at the airport (live lobster shop in ther terminal). We had enough time to go to her home, prepare and linger over a wonderful meal and return to the airport that evening for my Pan Am Shuttle 727-200 flight back to La Guardia (GREAT night views flying over Manhattan, a windy-as-hell landing and opportunity to see the old Maritime terminal).
Old 11th June 2010, 10:20 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the help, plans have changed now and departing one day earlier, don't want to risk it, and on the flipside it just means an extra night hanging out in south beach!

Hakan